Ever since Lizzy House’s Pearl Bracelets line was released, I’ve been itching to make a quilt from it but I couldn’t think of what to do. Then I saw variations of this block popping up every where and thought it would be perfect for another quilt along! I’m calling my version String of Pearls.
Of course, you don’t have to use Pearl Bracelets – any colorful set of fabrics will look fantastic! How about using solids, or scraps you’ve been
The key to the success of this design is in the contrast. Just make sure the bands around the “pearls” (center squares) really pop and that your background, or “negative space” really contrasts or recedes.
String of Pearls Kits are available in 2 options: a complete kit including all of the fabrics for the quilt top, or a starter kit with the Pearl Bracelets fabric only.
- 12 chubby eighths of colorful prints – a chubby eighth measures approximately 9″ x 20″ or half of a fat quarter. You will need one extra 2.25″ x 20″ strip for a scrappy binding.
- 1.5 yards solid black – I am using Kona Pepper.
- 2.5 yards grey or neutral background – I am using Kona Medium Grey.
- 4 yards for backing (or lots of scraps and leftover pieces).
- Piece of batting that measures at least 70″ x 70″.
Quilt Along Schedule – links will be active at the completion of each step:
- Step 1 – Rotary cutting all the pieces
- Step 2 – Sewing all the “pearl” blocks
- Step 3 – Completing the quilt top
- Step 4 – Backing and basting
- Step 5 – Machine quilting #1 straight lines
- Bonus – Extra spiral quilting
- Step 6 – Machine quilting #2 swirls ‘n pearls
- Step 7 – Binding to finish
Be sure to share pictures of your progress on my flickr group: Christa’s Quilt Along. I can’t wait to get started!
Grab my Quilt Along button!
<div align="center"><a href="http://christasquiltalong.com" title="Christa's Quilt Along" target="_blank"><img src="http://christaquilts.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/christas-quilt-along-175-2.png" alt="Christa's Quilt Along" style="border:none;" /></a></div>