40 Is…

Christa QuiltsI recently read a blog post written by the lovely and talented Jennifer of Ellison Lane.

She titled her post This is 38: A Look at Middle Life and she made a list of things that came to mind.

That really inspired me, and since I’m a couple of years older than she is, I thought I’d write my own version, so here goes:

40 is….

• Happy to be married with kids that are old enough to feed and clean themselves.
  • Being ok with the oncoming grey and a little relieved that it hasn’t taken over yet.
  • Lamenting with my hubby that he’s losing hair in places he doesn’t want, and I’m getting it in places it shouldn’t be!
  • Embracing the new direction in my quilting career and enjoying the child-like excitement I feel with every little success.
  • Christa's BerninaOld enough to think I am wise, but young enough to realize I still don’t know it all.
  • Finally being able to afford the car I want, the sewing machine I want…(the debt I don’t want, LOL!!)
  • Not being ashamed of mixing my personal life with my professional life and blogging about all of it.
  • So much better than 30 and even 20!

I’m sure I could think of many more if I tried. Here’s to more love, life and happiness in the next decade. :-)

My Happy Family

My Happy Family

This entry was posted in Personal Life, Soapbox and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to 40 Is…

1. CindyM says:

My machine is in the shop so am hand quilting my string of pearls. Its taking forever.

2. CindyM says:

Christa. I somehow got the wrong url address on my linky pic and cant figure out how to take it off. Can you do it for me? Its called “In the works.” It just links up to my blogger page. Was trying to link it to my flickr pics. GRRR. I can’t figure out how to start the blog. Gonna take a class soon though. LOL

3. Nita says:

I loved being in my 40s. When I turned 40 I felt like I was finally “grown up”. Now that I am 52, I love being in my 50s even more! I am now a “woman of substance”.

4. RobinSue says:

Thanks for sharing about your entry into 40. 40 was great and each year it gets better – always happy to be a year older!

5. Lynn says:

Hi Christa – So funny I saw that post too and as I am approaching 50 thought about doing a post too – but 50 things is a lot to come up with. :)

6. mlwilkie says:

Happy birthday – I turned 40 this year too and loving it so far. Beautiful family

7. claudia w says:

Happy Birthday Christa! Many, many more happy returns. I was 60 in May and let me tell you, this getting older is something special. I feel freer than ever, wiser and so looking forward to all the other new things I will have to learn. I have set a goal for my grey hair, so I have something to look forward to. I am putting a bright blue streak in it. Can you imagine? It’s going to be fun!!!
    I love the smiling faces in all of your family! They are all beautiful!

8. Diane C says:

A very happy 40th birthday to you, Christa! And — believe it or not, it just keeps getting better and better. Forget about the grey showing up here and there, as well as getting hair where you don’t want it; forget about what gravity is doing to your body. Life is good, even when it’s not so good, and happiness is ours for the taking – we just have to reach out for it. Love and happiness! Wow! Awesome!

9. Happy Birthday yesterday!!! Hope you had a fantastic day!!! Bring on the 40′s, it can only get better, right :)

10. I’m not quite 40 yet, but it wont be long. I love the wisdom that comes with age! :)

11. Ronda Trepagnier says:

Happy birthday, Christa!! I hope you have a great day. You have a nice looking family :) God bless.

12. I so agree with your reflection today. We don’t often take the time to appreciate the good things in life. I am enjoying following you on your journey.
    Lis Ostiguy

13. happy birthday to you Christa!! I love posts like these, because it really helps me get to know you better! I’m 36, so not too far behind, but it is nice to feel true happiness with where you are in life. your family is beautiful!
    :) Kelly

14. Michele T says:

That’s the spirit!! Thanks for sharing :-)

15. Lois Springsteen says:

Great philosophy. Now, just imagine your list when you double the 40s. Sure, there is a little more bad, however . . . the good is greatly magnified.

16. Roberta Salinas says:

Beautiful family! Enjoy!

17. Leigh Anne says:

Happy Birthday! I loved your post. I have a group of friends that are younger than me and lamenting each passing year. I keep trying to explain to them that if they embrace it they will see that 35 is better than 30 which is better than 20s. I have no doubt that my 40s will be even better still :)

18. Wendy says:

Happy Birthday and congratulations on becoming 40 and wonderful! I found that each decade brings new found wisdom, a new outlook on the future and the knowledge that true friends and family are what really count (the latter never changes!). I hope you have a wonderful and happy decade!
    (BTW, I’m in the 60+ category and couldn’t be happier about it!)

19. Pat Sell says:

Congratulations on enjoying your 40′s – so many people are so busy looking ahead, they don’t appreciate what is happening now! 40′s are good, but I thought 50′s were absolutely the best!! I am now trying to enjoy my 60′s (it’s just a little harder) and succedding most days – you have so much to look forward to (I know, I know, “never end a sentence with a preposition”!). Enjoy each day! :)

20. Michele says:

Great list and many sentiments that I share even though I’m a few years older than you. Great picture.

21. craftysorcha says:

Happy Birthday! That list is great.

22. what a wonderful age..Happy birthday, you are aging gracefully and may more love, happiness and joy comes for the future!

23. Vicki says:

Happy birthday, Christa! My big 6-0 is this year. How is that possible? You have a great looking family.

24. You make 40 look great! And btw, I was married in the building behind y’all in your family picture. ;) Love it!