Prepping for Sewing Summit and a New Project Start

I’m so excited that I’ll be leaving for Sewing Summit in Salt Lake in just a couple of days. I spent the weekend gathering my supplies and making a list of what to work on so I will be prepared for non-stop sewing fun!

Ryan's ChevronsFirst up on the agenda is this new chevron quilt that I’m going to make for my 13 year old son.  It’s very similar in construction to my Charming Chevrons quilt, with different color placement and larger finished HST’s so it should be pretty simple to sew. I might tweak it a little to fit his twin-sized bed. I’ll probably end up calling it “Double Chevrons.”

We recently cleaned up my son’s room and put up new shelving as part of my sewing space redo. Since I moved his Legos out of my sewing loft, I had to give him more space to store his stuff! He has an electronic drum set that takes up most of his room (yes – I’m that kind of mom!) so we really need to cozy it up a little.

Room decor

DrumsI decided he needs a new quilt that matched the color scheme of his room. He’s into Yugioh, drums, space, and Tron. Fortunately, the furniture and decor in his room blend together in a nice palette of black, blue, grey, and cheddar. I told him that I get to design the front, but he gets to choose the back.

Kona Fabric PullSince I created the design in EQ7 I was able to print it off in color and pull matching Kona Solids to match (one of the perks of having a fabric store in the house).

Yugioh Be SheetI found this fabulous Yugioh sheet online for a song that I will use for the backing (thanks to a bit of google searching).

He was way excited about that.  I get to make a fun quilt and he’s happy with the backing and colors so it’s a win-win!

Next up, I’m going to try my best to finish up my Sunday Sling bag that I started in a class over 2 years ago! Each time I go to a retreat or quilting event I’m so jealous of all the cute hand-made bags everyone is wearing. This is how far I’ve gotten in 2 years, LOL!

Sunday SlingI’m just not into 3-D sewing – I’d rather make nice, flat quilts. But, I decided I better buckle down and finish this UFO so I have something to strut. And besides, if it turns out to be a disaster, I’m sure I can just buy one on etsy! :-)

So wish me luck as I frantically try to get ready this week. I’ve posted a list of classes I’m taking here and I’ve already heard from a few other blogger friends who are going – it’s going to be great!

This entry was posted in Quilt Events and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Prepping for Sewing Summit and a New Project Start

1. I love the design and colours for your son’s quilt! I’m a bit jealous of that drum kit! Good luck with the bag :-)

2. Louise Alexander says:

have a great time…may I suggest using the sheet to make pillowcases for his bed rather than the backing…as his interest will change and his beautiful quilt will still be in vogue with a more neutral backing.

3. Margaret A says:

Good for you with the drums – I’m a big fan of supporting our kids’ musical and artistic interests! I’m working on the 2 charming chevrons for my grandsons and finished piecing the top of the first one over the weekend. I changed the direction of my points as well!! I was hesitant at first but then thought through how I will quilt it and sewed the rows together! I’ll have to post a pic later today on Flickr. Have a great time at the Sewing Summit!!

4. quiltfairy33 says:

The Yugioh sheet looks great with your chevron design, even the colors. Great score!

5. Carla says:

Lucky lucky you! Enjoy rubbing shoulders with all those quilters and bloggers. Your son’s quilt will be gorgeous. Great colours

6. Audrey says:

Oooh, that quilt top is going to be epic! I love the colors you’ve pulled too. Good luck with your bag! And thanks for linking up! :)

7. Mary says:

It sounds like it will be a fabulous time. I love the fabrics for the new chevron. That will be gorgeous.

8. Sarah says:

I feel the exact same way about 3D projects…I just can’t get into them. I have 2 unfinished bags hiding in a corner! Have a blast at Sewing Summit. Can’t wait to hear all about it! (Oh! And I love the idea for your son’s quilt- can’t wait to see more!)

9. Great plan for the new quilt. Your son will love it! Concerning the bag… I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. Two dimensional projects are where it’s at! PS. I am sew jelly! Have fun at Sewing Summit!

10. Leigh Anne says:

color me jealous of your sewing weekend! Our kids could make a band, my 7 year daughter just got an electric guitar :)

11. Lesley says:

This will be a fabulous quilt! Perfect colours for his room…you will get the Mom of the year award! Have fun at the Summit!

12. LauraC says:

What a great looking quilt for your son – love the color scheme for it.

13. craftysorcha says:

Sounds like you’ll have a busy week! Good luck!

14. rosa says:

Your chevron design looks fabulous and go ,you can make all your projects.Have a lot of fun and enjoy!!

15. Josie McRazie says:

I have faith in you! You CAN and will get the bag done!! I can’t wait to see it! Or the quilt!

16. Michele says:

That will be one very cool quilt. I so wish I was going to Sewing Summit this year. I’m not going to miss it in 2014.

17. maartjequilt says:

What a lovely design and colors. Love to see the fun quilt finished with that awesome fabric. Good luck with your bag, 3D sewing is not that different!
    Love from Amsterdam

18. CathyK says:

That chevron quilt is going to be amazing!! Wow!

19. I love your quilt design and color choices!!

20. Vicki says:

Love the center transition point in your chevron quilt! The colors are outstanding. Sounds to me like your sewing summit will be wonderful. That bag is so much fun, colors are great! Good luck.

21. Darlene Crosby says:

Have a great time and stay safe! I love the color choices for the new quilt, very nice!

22. Stacy says:

Oh Christa, I’m soooo envious! Have a great time. Can’t wait until the guild retreat. : ) And love the new quilt.

23. treadlemusic says:

Envy!!! Expect great posts/photos!!! Enjoy!…..

24. Looks like a lot of fun! Love the colors and that the chevrons change direction in the middle.