Sew and Tell – Upcoming Quilt Show Entries for 2014

More and more large quilt shows are adding modern quilting categories to their lineup which I think is simply fabulous! I love to support the art of modern quilting, and I encourage others to enter their work into shows so we can all be a part of shaping this movement.

Two of my recent quilts will be in a couple of upcoming shows this year, so if you are in the area – please stop by and say hello to them for me. :-)

String of Pearls

String of Pearls, 64″ x 64″ Pieced and Quilted by Christa

String of Pearls (above) will be part of the Modern Quilt – Negative Space category at the Road to California showcase in Ontario, California January 23 – 26th, 2014. I will be attending this show, so it will be fun to see in hang in person. (I missed attending MQX last year in which String of Pearls received an honorable mention.)

Charming Chevrons (below) was accepted into AQS QuiltWeek in Phoenix, Arizona February 5-8, 2014. It will be displayed for competition in their Modern Quilt – Wall Size category. I haven’t made up my mind if I’ll attend (it’s a long drive for me), but I’m hoping someone who is there will recognize the quilt and snap a picture of it hanging for me.

Charming Chevrons is such a special quilt to me because it was my first modern quilt. It’s been shown at QuiltCon and has won two awards – both locally and online.

Charming Chevrons

Charming Chevrons 45″ x 53, Pieced and Quilted by Christa

Sometimes I worry that I’m being a little silly entering the same quilts into lots of different shows, but I learned recently that each quilt has an average “show-span” of 2 years in which it can be entered. That means I can make quilts and send them around the country for a couple of years for others to enjoy viewing. Then they can retire and come home to live with me where I can use them and love them!

The reason I never entered large shows before was because I always thought the quilts that were accepted had to be “perfect” or that I had to make a new quilt for each contest. Fortunately, I have now learned that is not the case.

I never expect to win when I enter (though it’s kind of fun when I do), and I don’t quilt for the judges. I just enjoying sharing my quilts in public and getting feedback on how to improve my skills. :-)

30 thoughts on “Sew and Tell – Upcoming Quilt Show Entries for 2014

1. Darlene M. says:

Your quilts are exquisite, well made and should be displayed in as many quilt shows as possible. Quilt shows would be excited to have your quilts as their beauty alone will enhance the show and your quilts will stay with the viewers long after the show is over.

2. Lorna McMahon says:

Congratulations on the upcoming shows, Christa. Both of these quilts are incredibly beautiful. The designs are wonderful and the quilting is amazing. But I know, with your talent, we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Here’s to 2014!

3. msmidge says:

I’m petrified about entering quilt competitions! Although having said that, there aren’t really that many in Melbourne, Australia. And the quilting conventions or get togethers I’ve been to seem to be more focused on “traditional” quilts. Which I am not in to! Good luck with yours!

Oh, don’t be afraid! The best that can happen is perhaps you win something; the worst that can happen is that hundreds of other people will get a chance to admire your quilts up close and in person. It’s really not scary and can actually be pretty educational :-)

Australia is an amazing country full of quilters – hopefully they will continue to catch the Modern quilt-bug!!

4. Hollie says:

The chevron quilt is beautiful! Almost finished with my first one. Love the look and ease of it. Good Luck in the shows!

5. Connie Campbell says:

Best of luck Christa, they are beautiful quilts! Would you believe I have never entered a quilt show before.

6. Kim says:

Good luck in both shows – I’m heading to Road to California from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Looking forward to seeing this quilt in person.

I can’t wait for Road. That was the first big national show I ever attended and it really opened my eyes to all of the amazing quilts that are out there!

7. Renee says:

I’m sure they will be well received! Good to know about the show in Phoenix, though still a long drive for me as well. Your last post about entering them in shows inspired me to finally enter my lone star quilt in a national show, we’ll see if it get accepted! :-)

Thanks Ann – that would be fantastic! I saw your name on the list of semi-finalists so I would love to hear about what you entered and how well it does :-)

8. Wendy Rubbo says:

Good luck! I love both of those quilts and am making more of the modern style quilts. While I still love traditional patterns, the modern ones appeal to my artsy side more. I’m sure yours will do well again and I look forward to seeing more modern quilts from you. :-)

9. Vicki says:

Good luck Christa! You have so much to be proud of. I say enter them when ever and where ever you can. All of us like an occasional pat on the back and a ‘well done’!!

10. Lis Ostiguy says:

Good luck with your entries. I am sure you will do well. I live vicariously through your blog and I am learning a lot. Thanks