Tips for Getting Started with Modern Quilt Design

My latest blog post for Craftsy has been published, and I’m rather pleased with the subject matter. It’s called 7 Tips for Getting Started with Modern Quilt Design and I really enjoyed writing it.

20140221_chevrons_backThe back of Colorful Chevrons – I think it’s more modern than the front. Tutorial here.

Suffice it to say, I had fun gathering pictures and examples of modern quilting, and emailing their makers to obtain permission to share. It was really just a great excuse to get to know more amazing designers, and this is just the tip of the iceberg! I could have included dozens more if I had the time and space to write about them.

Another “modern” backing I designed. One day I’ll make something like this for the front!

So don’t be surprised if modern quilts are all I can think about for awhile. I have to make up for lost time!

This entry was posted in Christa's Quilts, Publishing, Sew and Tell, Soapbox and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Tips for Getting Started with Modern Quilt Design

1. Christy says:

I love it when the back of a quilt is as pretty as the front!

2. I love the quilting… the mix of little “bubbles” and “chevrons” and also the subtle colours… beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
    Bye for now, Jay x

3. Kristy Daum says:

Wonderful article on the Craftsy blog, and great coordinating photos to back up what you are talking about.

4. adaisygarden says:

What a great idea for an article! The quilts are beautiful! Love the quilting, too.

5. Vicki in MN says:

It is beautiful Christa, love the quilting! Congrats on getting it published-awesome!

6. treadlemusic says:

Awesome!!!!!!! And great “Quilty” article!!!!!! Hugs……………

7. Ana Maria says:

Thank you for sharing. It has sparked the idea, and I’ll be trying out new things!!

8. Vicki says:

I am loving that second back with all the thread colors! Yes, I love modern also.

9. farmquilter says:

Love them! I’m quilting a modern quilt for a customer right now and can’t wait to see the back when I’m done!