Fabric Friday – Featuring Fat Eighths

I’m excited to bring you another version of Fabric Friday to get you inspired (and to try and encourage those of you on a fabric diet to break your fast – just kidding!!)

SphereSphere Fat Eighth Bundle by Zen Chic

Today I wanted to showcase bundles of “Fat Eighths.” These are like smaller versions of fat quarter bundles. Each piece measures approximately 9″ x 22″ which is half of a fat quarter.

april showersApril Showers Fat Eighth Bundle by Bonnie and Camille

Fat Eighths are very user friendly and are a little easier on the pocketbook, especially when you are looking to buy an entire line. They also make a gorgeous sewing room decoration, tied up in a pretty ribbon like that!

sewing boxSewing Box Fat Eighth Bundle by Gina Martin

Aren’t they just scrumptious? My String of Pearls quilt features fat eighths for the center squares. Just a small pop of color in the right place goes a long way!

Finished QuiltString of Pearls by Christa Watson

Have you ever made a quilt from a fat eighth bundle? If so – tell me about it!

This entry was posted in Fabric and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Fabric Friday – Featuring Fat Eighths

1. I love bundles of fabric no matter what size, but these are just so fun to work with! :)

Thank you for linking up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

2. Love love this fabric! Never used fat eighths.

3. Carole HIll says:

I’ve not tried fat eights or modern quilting yet, what a great way to get started, and I love your string of pearls quilt.thanks for sharing, and love the blogging. Keep it coming.

4. Cheryl says:

I have a bundle of fat eighths but have never used it. I actually find that fat quarters, though more expensive, are more useful.

5. mlwilkie says:

I just picked up the Sphere fat 8th’s, thinking of making one of the quilt lab designs with it. Excited to get started. Great choices.

6. Those Sphere F8 bundles have been tempting me, but I’ve managed so far to avoid buying one… really I’d rather have more yardage than less, so I’m not sold on the whole F8 thing. It’s affordable, I suppose, but if you still need more fabric to finish your quilt then you’re not really doing yourself any favours getting the smaller size.

7. Natasha says:

I have yet to buy a fat eighth bundle but now that you mention it I love the idea of it especially the part where it is easier on the pocket book. Sounds like the perfect fix for when the craving for a new fabric strikes!!

8. I’ve never used fat eighths… I don’t think they’re a common item stocked in my LQS. But I can certainly see some advantages! Thanks for sharing!

9. No, I haven’t, but I can see Esther’s point about how they’d be great for paper piecing projects!

10. I have made a couple of quilts with fat eighths. I have yet to break into my Oh Deer bundle, though, because it looks so pretty on my shelf. It is amazing how far you can stretch fabrics when you really try and use the eighths as a focus fabric. Most of the time, though, I prefer buying yardage rather than bundles.

11. Katie says:

I have often wondered what could be done with fat eighths. I love pre-cuts and have just never used them, now I am inspired! Thank you.

12. Beautiful fabrics Christa and no I haven’t made a quilt using fat eighths yet!

13. jowynj says:

I’ve never used fat eigths before, definitely want to try !

14. Carol Kuse says:

I also have never used fat-eighths, but am ready to try.

15. Kathy @ Kwikty Pleasures says:

I have used Aspen Frost F8s for a QAL. Turned out great for a crib size. My Kwilty friend and I like a lot of the same fabrics. We sometimes buy a FQ bundle and split the fabrics. Works out great!

16. Alison G says:

I am making 4″ paper pieced origami cranes. I can get two of them out of one fat eighth! I’ve been buying 8th’s and fat quarters (because most shops won’t cut eighths) singularly because I haven’t found an oriental bundle of eighths but that’s okay I got a Hoffman Sparkler of 44 2.5″ strips that will do the trick I think. I need to make about 100 of them…25 down…I’ll probably still be working on them when we go to Sewtopia. See you there!

17. would love to win this and see

18. Danita says:

I’ve never made anything with fat eights but I live and breath fat quarters. Infact I just reorganized all my fat quarters last night :)

19. Bonnie Pfrimmer says:

I have never made a quilt with fat eights but You don’t see it offered very much. I would love to make a quilt like yours out of this bundle. Thank you for sharing..

20. Fran Daoust says:

I have never used fat eighths. Maybe it is time.

21. Pat S says:

I’ve only purchased one bundle of eighth’s and haven’t used them yet – but I know what I’m going to use them for. I think it is a really nice way to get the whole collection and to get a good variety for a quilt. The ones you show are lovely.

22. Michele T says:

I’ve never made anything with a Fat Eighth but a pattern would be nice!

23. Susan says:

I have not made a quilt from a fat eighth, but would love to see a tutorial. The fabrics you put up today are very cute.

24. Lindsay says:

So cute! Everything is cuter in miniature… including fat eighths! Imagine how cute a fat sixteenth would be. ;)

25. Kristy Daum says:

I haven’t yet made a quilt using Fat Eighths; but have bought a few Fat Eighth collections lately and cannot wait to actually put them to use…well, one day ;-)

26. Patti says:

I made my Granddaughter’s graduation quilt from fat eights. Took a little work in the math department but it turned out great. Love the bundles!!

27. Laura Valdez says:

I’ve never used fat eigths. Never found a pattern for them. But there’s always a first time!

28. Jereena says:

No I haven’t. I am amazed at all the pre-cut bundle varieties. Everything so scrumptuous and tempting.

29. Britt-Inger says:

No I haven’t used fat eight. It´s not common in the Swedish quiltshops to sell fat eights, nowadays fat quarters eighteen. The shops sells 1/3 yards instead WOF.

30. Darlene M. says:

I have not purchased fat eighths; however, I am currently making a strip pieced pennant quilt and cutting a Zen Chic Sphere jelly roll strips in half for more placement options. Love-love Zen Chic. April Showers and Sewing Box sure look fun and I could sure use more Sphere!

31. Darlene M. says:

I have not purchased fat eightieths; however, I am currently making a strip pieced pennant quilt and cutting a Zen Chic Sphere jelly roll strips in half for more placement options. Love-love Zen Chic. April Showers and Sewing Box sure look fun and I could sure use more Sphere!

32. No not yet! Most shops sell fabric on the bolt or skinny ( fat) quarters here. I have only seen them online sofar! I would we interested in buying them, though, especially for quilts like yours or for paper piecing. A little bit of fabric goes a long way!!!
    Esther

33. Margaret Doro says:

No I have never made a quilt from fat eighth’s….I always buy bundles of fat quarters and make quilts using them…however I would love to use fat eight’s to make a quilt….no doubt I would have to search for a pattern …..but that would not be a problem…I must give it a go sometime!!!

34. darlsc says:

I haven’t made a quilt using fat eights. I guess I am greedy…I buy FQ bundles! Also, I don’t recall seeing many fat eights bundles readily available, at least in the fabrics I like. Same with those turnovers, not much selection. I LOVE those bundles you have featured above! Glad to see that they are available:)