Modern Quilts at HMQS 2014

This weekend I got a chance to attend the Home Machine Quilting Show in Sandy, Utah (near SLC). I attended this particular show for the first time last year and was excited to return again this year. Although I didn’t take any classes, and there was a little too much “bling” for my tastes, they had a very well-represented modern category.

hmqs logoIn fact, this was probably the best selection of modern quilts I’ve seen in the last few shows I’ve attended. I think more and more people are starting to “get” modern quilting, which I, for one, am thrilled about! I present these beauties now for your viewing pleasure. :-)

modern_1st_maryModern Dots with a Passion, 1st Place Modern by Mary Buckeyene, Las Vegas, NV

Mary is a member of our local traditional guild. I was thrilled to see a ribbon hanging on her fabulous quilt, and pleased to see she’s made the modern switch!

modern_2nd_lindaModern Mojo 2nd Place Modern by Linda Thielfolt, Troy, MI

If I remember correctly, this quilt also got a ribbon at MQX in 2013. Nicely done, Linda! :-)

modern_3rd_candaceFloating on a Lazy River, 3rd Place Modern by Candace West, Floral City, FL

It was fun to see a ribbon on this quilt. I remember seeing it hanging at Road to Ca earlier this year (ribbonless). It just goes to show that different judges have different tastes, so if you enter your quilts into a variety of shows, who knows – you just may hit the jackpot!

dandelion_clockDandelion Clock by Linda Hungerford, Honorable Mention, Conventional Machine

I just love this cheery quilt! It was made by my friend Linda and it just goes to show that turnabout is fair play. Linda photographed my quilt at Paducah for me a few weeks ago, and I was happy to return the favor at this show where she was unable to attend!

string_of_pearlsMy String of Pearls quilt at HMQS. I love entering my quilts in shows because the most fun part of finishing a quilt, is the sharing that comes after!

The rest of the quilts below earn my seal of approval for “awesomeness in modern quilting.” Most of the modern quilts at HMQS were pieced and quilted by the same person which thrills me to no end! Yes, you really can make show quality quilts on your own. :-)

threes_a_charmThree’s a Charm by Sue Mariotti, Seattle, WA

zephyrVarigated by Paige Alexander, Easley, SC (pattern design by Debbie Grifka)

love_prayLove, Pray, Hope, Give by Kristin Barrus, Lehi, UT

greenTiki by Mary Eldredge, Murray, UT

gray_starsGray Stars by Corinna Weir, Salt Lake City, UT

alphabetModern Alphabet by Gerrie Thompson, Happy Valley, OR

green_trianglesSpring Frenzy by DeAnn Oliekan, Kaysville, UT

I hope you enjoyed the virtual show!

This entry was posted in Quilt Events, Sew and Tell and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Modern Quilts at HMQS 2014

1. PT in SC says:

Thanks so much sharing the quilts. Exciting to see a picture of my quilt, Varigated, hanging in the show. (And I just realized I misspelled variegated, my grandmother the gardener would have corrected me). Did you notice how the color of the ribbons actually coordinate with the quilts?Thanks again!

2. Sandra says:

I couldn’t attend this year. Was sad but life happens. Thanks for the pictures.

3. Laura Belkin says:

Thanks for posting these inspiring photos. I don’t get to shows much, but have signed up for Quilt Con in Feb. I’m working on quilting on my home machine and am beginning to feel comfortable with using the walking foot. Even wavy lines!!! So your insistence that it can be done will keep me practicing free motion too. Many thanks! Laura

4. sminatrea1956 says:

What fun! Thanks!

5. Amy says:

Why, oh why, does it feel like I’m in quilt show never-land? I wish I could see some of the big shows, especially the machine quilting ones! Thanks for showing us some of the quilts!

As a quilter who is all about the quilting, it’s nice to see that the quilting of these modern quilts can get a bit more complex if that’s what the maker wants without getting out of the modern aesthetic.

6. Thank you for sharing – I enjoyed the Instagram posts as well. I am especially drawn to the Dandelion clock quilt. How awesome that you two traded photography favors!

7. Betsy M says:

Fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing.

8. Mary Ann says:

I was wondering, were these all original designs? Loved the Dandelion Clock……….the others were gorgeous too.

9. Vicki in MN says:

Thank you so much for the wonderful eye candy!!

10. Lou says:

Thank you SO much for sharing. The quilting is always an inspiration!

11. Pat S says:

Great quilts. Thanks for sharing.

12. Celia says:

Wonderful quilts! I would have loved to be there in person, but thanks for sharing so we can enjoy these quilts.

13. Thank you for sharing! I love to see what’s out there in the “show” world :)

14. Sandy says:

Thanks for the virtual show, Christa! I hope to get to this show sometime in the future. :)

15. treadlemusic says:

“Verigated” and “Gray Stars” stand out to me BUT I love them all!!!! Have bookmarked this post!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!!! Hugs…………………..

16. Anne says:

Thanks for sharing. It’s nice to see quilts from shows in other parts of the U. S. BTW – yours is very beautiful.

17. Lis Ostiguy says:

The artistry of quilters knows no bounds. It is always enjoyable to see quality works. Thanks for sharing.

18. kaystephenson says:

I love the modern designs, but am really wowed by the dense and beautiful machine quilting. What a difference it makes in some of these quilts. Thanks for letting us live vicariously!

19. Sue Laufer says:

Love all the quilts. Thanks for posting them. Inspiring.

20. Penny says:

These are so inspiring. Thanks. Penny

21. farmquilter says:

Beautiful quilts!! Thanks for sharing with those of us who could not make it to Sandy!!