Postcard from Pagosa Springs…Wish You Were Here!

This week, the whole family is in scenic Pagosa Springs, Colorado for a family reunion. Jason’s step-dad grew up here so we’ve been able to check out his youthful stomping grounds as well as enjoy some fun R&R.

20140630_colorado_1The first day out, we went tubing down the San Juan river which was such a blast! The water was pretty cold, but the journey ended near some hot springs, so we were able to get out of our tubes and warm up in some relaxing (though sulfurous) hot water. :-)

20140630_colorado_2_sewing_machineThe next day, we cruised around town, checking out the sites and sampling the local cuisine. We discovered a fun little local museum that just happened to have some fabulous antique quilts on display! I fell in love with this antique sewing machine setup with some gorgeous pineapple blocks folded up. If it hadn’t been blocked off, I think I would have wanted to go over there and touch it!

20140630_colorado_3_antiqueWild Goose Chase Quilt, Circa 1840-1850.

I also discovered that I have a fondness for bold geometric quilts, whether they are brand new, or over 100 years old. :-)

Speaking of quilting, I’ve even managed to sneak in a little sewing in the mornings and evenings, in between activities. We are staying in a nice homey timeshare rental (courtesy of the in-laws), with plenty of space for a makeshift studio. Since I’m sewing on a deadline, it’s nice that I can can still be productive during downtime.

20140630_colorado_4_sewing

My studio on the go – quilters gotta quilt!

There are lots of fun things scheduled for the rest of the week: swimming, parades, fireworks, and even a rodeo – the 65th anniversary of the Red Ryder Roundup Rodeo! I’m looking forward to it!

20140630_colorado_5Original Red Ryder comic strip on display at the local museum. Very cool.

What fun things have you got planned this summer?

This entry was posted in Personal Life and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Postcard from Pagosa Springs…Wish You Were Here!

1. JulieCC says:

We were in Pagosa Springs the week before you were. I wanted to visit the museum, but we didn’t have time. It’s only four hours from home, so there will be a next time! We stayed at Mountain Landing Guest Quarters (and did a time share later in the week at different location…so nice!) and it was super great! So glad you enjoyed our beautiful state!

2. Carole Hill says:

you look like you are having so much fun, and that museum looks so cool. I’m especially interested in see that quilt that you are working on, Hmm, black and white? very cool! Have a great rest of vacation, and family reunion!

3. Pamela says:

My family is heading to the Detroit Zoo tomorrow, Saturday. The 3 grandkids will have a blast!

4. Such a fun time! Those quilts! And Red Ryder!!

5. Not much this summer until Labor Day Weekend. That’s when my son and I will head to Atlanta, GA for Dragoncon. We will cosplay (adult dress up) and I hope to see Sir Patrick Stewart and Karl Urban. There will be ton of stuff to see and do. I have mt Mirror, Mirror costume ready for the Federation Ball and my Nedine Land (gender-bent Ned Land- Kurt Douglas’ role in “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea”. Will take 2 or 3 other costumes for the fun of it.

6. farmquilter says:

Have a blast, enjoying family, fun outdoor excitement and a wee bit of sewing!! Just perfect!

7. Lis Ostiguy says:

Christa, Love that you are balancing life priorities in such a fun way. Family is so important. My summer will focus around grandkids and participating in a local farmers’ market where I exhibit and (hopefully sell) my art quilts as well as traditional quilts made by the president of my quilters guild (Merrickville Village Quilters.

Enjoy your time at Pagosa Springs!

8. Lori Smanski says:

looks like you all had so much fun. i love it when family vacations turn out so well. thanks for sharing.

9. treadlemusic says:

Appears you have the best of both worlds (a quilter’s vaca!!!!)! With scenery like that it would be a tad difficult to stay focused (even with a deadline or 2!!). Enjoy and “congrats” (see above comment by Evie H). Hugs…………………………

10. Louise says:

Pagasoa springs is a great family destination, we went there when the kids were little several times. It is sad now with everyone grown and on different schedules that we can’t pull this off anymore. Enjoy beautiful Colorado

11. Susan K says:

My husband and I were in Pagosa Springs for a day a couple of years ago. We enjoyed the museum with quilts too. They have some beautiful pieces.

12. Evie H says:

Christa, so glad you’re able to get away for a family vacation. Looks like lots of fun!

On a different note, I just read Bonnie Hunter’s blog post tonight and this was included:

“The 2013 Professional Quilter Teacher of the Year is: Jacquie Gering!
    “The runner-up nominees were Susan Brittingham, Lisa Calle, Amy Gibson, Pam Holland, Liz Kettle, Vikki Pignatelli and Christa Watson along with my self —How fun to be included with this ((SERIOUS?!)) group of ladies!”

How exciting is that? And you didn’t write anything about it in your blog or newsletter. Even if you didn’t win you should be very proud of your accomplishments. (I’m assuming you’re THE Christa Watson Bonnie’s referring to.) Congratulations!

13. Marlyn says:

I’m helping to shoot a fireworks show on both July 3rd and 4th.

14. vickievan says:

Just got my motorcycle endorsement….sooooo Road Trip to Yellowstone !!! Yahhhh

• treadlemusic says:

Way to go, Girl!!!!! I’ve been riding my own for 18+ yrs (got my endorsement when I turned 50). Huge “Congrats”!!!!! Ride invisible……………………………..