Christa’s Soap Box – Community Vs. Content

Today’s soap box was inspired by an earlier post from my friend Lee at Freshly Pieced. She very eloquently wrote a thought provoking essay entitled, “Are Blogs Dead?” referring to the idea that in some circles, Instagram my be supplanting blogs as quilters’ social media of choice.

Fortunately, her conclusion was that no, blogs are note dead – they are just different!

binding_clips1It’s been fun to use my blog to share tips, tricks and tutorials, like how to bind a quilt.

This got me to thinking about social media and why I am so attracted to it. I think it really is about the community and the content. I view my blog as my “Home Base” or my place to “be.” It’s where others can come find me, and see what I’m up to. It won’t change locations or format (unless WordPress does something very drastically different which I highly doubt). My blog is very reliable and I can choose to write as little or a much as I like.

I can be myself here, share the occasional peek into my personal life, and people can choose to read or not at their leisure. It’s also a place where I can store many of my ideas and thoughts as I quilt, along with tons of free content I’m happy to share. (You should see my WIP posts that have not been posted yet – they go on for pages and pages, LOL!!)

Running in Utah

I don’t mind sharing both my personal and professional life on my blog.

However, Lee did bring up a good point which I hadn’t thought of before. Blogs are becoming more of a one way content generator and less of a vehicle for two-way communication. I know from my stats that I get a lot of traffic and people reading my blog, even if they don’t comment as much as they read. Heck I do the same thing – I follow over 100 blogs on a regular basis but I read far more than I comment.

So that’s where other social media like facebook, instagram or flickr come in. I think people, including myself, like the instant gratification that a quick comment or “like” can generate.

For me personally, I just can’t get into facebook, and flickr has become really user unfriendly lately – but I love checking instagram on a daily basis (@christaquilts). It’s quick and easy to pop in for a few minutes to see what beautiful things others are making, and it’s fun to leave a quick message or get instant feedback on what I’m working on. I also think of it as a way to share real-time snaphsots of daily life, which I can then turn into a cohesive “story” later on my blog.

20140710_snippetsI love to share “snippets” of my life on instagram, – or the “in-between” posts.

So I agree with Lee – blogs are definitely not dead, but their use is evolving. Because I’m the type of person that likes to have everything neatly organized in it’s own little box, I love the idea of referencing blogs mainly for content, and using instagram for my daily dose of quilty socialization.

How about you – what are your favorite ways to utilize social media?

This entry was posted in Soapbox and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Christa’s Soap Box – Community Vs. Content

1. cherylpond says:

I agree blogs are different. I publish mine to my FB page and I have noticed that people will comment on my FB feed where they won’t comment on my blog itself. I think it’s interesting to have conversations on FB where anyone can chime in but not on blogs with like minded subscribers/readers.

2. wombatquilts says:

I hope blogs are not dead… I have really only discovered them in the last couple of years.

3. Lynette says:

My favorite two places are “Blog World” and Facebook. I don’t use Instagram, because for me it feels to impersonal, which is weird, I know. ;D I just prefer the more in-depth shares of blog posts. I can look at pictures-only to my heart’s content on Pinterest. I think socially you get out of Blog World what you put into it. If you don’t answer your comments from people, or leave comments yourself, you’re not going to feel the great connection that can be there.

4. Jenny Bonynge says:

Love quilter’s blogs and follow 2 daily and others randomly. FB is a quick fix when I don’t have much time… ;0)

5. I like your statement about your blog being your “home base” – yes, that’s exactly how I think of mine! Thanks for building on my “Are Blogs Dead?” post! I completely agree with everything you’ve said here!

6. Krista says:

I follow several blogs but usually don’t comment. Most of the times I have either there is no response or my comment really should be a blog post of its own. I seem to have given up on instagram and flickr after they changed their policies. I dont twitter either. I really like the blogs better because I am more interested in people’s process and how quilting impacts and flows from their lives. I’ve been quilting for 28 years (gulp!) and I’m still inspired by other people’s work and occasionally learn a new tip or technique, but I primarily love getting to know other quilters. Who else can understand that I was hawking Hawthorne threads waiting for the cotton and steel release and bought it at 2 am in case it sold out by the morning? (The fabric I wanted did sell out the next day). Who else will laugh with me at the fact that I finished the binding on a quilt the wrong way over 10 times and had to leave it until the next morning until my brain could “reset”? I don’t live near a guild, I have only a few quilting friends, I don’t have time to blog. So these little moments of connection, even if it’s vicariously reliving a moment through someone elses life, are very meaningful to me.

7. Cheryl says:

I totally agree, my two favorite social media are blogs and instagram. I don’t comment as much as I would like to on blogs as it is such a pain to do so on my phone.