What I’m Working on Wednesday: Writing, Writing, Writing!

I’m working from the beach this week, which I think is the perfect setting for productivity!

Each year we travel with Jason’s family to Hermosa Beach, California for a week of fun in the sun. It was in the summer of 2012 that I discovered modern quilting and read my first modern quilting book on the beach! (See my 2013 beach pick here.)

20140715_beach_bookMy 2014 Beach Reading Pick – Savor Each Stitch by Carolyn Friedlander

Last year at this time I was brainstorming ideas of what I wanted to write about myself, and this year I’m finally working on my own manuscript (which will hopefully be ready by next summer)! I’ve realized that even though¬† summer is a busy time with family and vacations – it’s the perfect time of year for some intense pattern writing and editing due to our relaxed schedules and long summer days. (And the scenic views help a lot, too!)

20140715_beach_runGetting in our daily run – Jason finds new trails for us to try wherever we are!

I’m also planning some upcoming work for a magazine series which I’m not quite ready to reveal yet, but will make an announcement about soon (once contracts are in order).

Never one to miss a moment to sew, I’ve brought along my Singer Featherweight and have set up a makeshift sewing station in our room. With 10 people in one beach house, space is at premium, but who says you need a large quilting studio to be productive?

20140715_beach_sew

A small machine and portable table can fit in nearly any empty corner!

Summer is definitely my favorite time of year for a working vacation!

This entry was posted in Personal Life, Sew and Tell and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to What I’m Working on Wednesday: Writing, Writing, Writing!

1. i LOVE the sewing station! Lol! we really don’t require alot of space or stuff to be creative, just the room to be inspired ;) so excited to hear about your manuscript and looking forward to hearing more about it and reading it when it’s published!! XX!

2. Karen Mansergh says:

I thought I recognized that beach and the running path! We lived on the corner of 2nd and Ardmore in Hermosa for 7 years! So I know you are/had fun, and thanks for the book recommendation and the mini sewing set-up that I have used on many a trip.

3. zenthea says:

When we went to the beach in May, I took along my portable Janome and worked on the Tula Pink City Sampler. Discovered how easy it is to cut on the kitchen counter tops, even at a time share!

4. Karen says:

What an inspiration to everyone who thinks they don’t have room to sew! Enjoy that vacation!

5. treadlemusic says:

I love Hermosa!!!!! Little folding tables are the perfect thing……done that myself!!! Enjoy and congrats on all that going on “behind the scenes”!!!!

6. Renee says:

I totally want a wee machine! So cute. A beach-side sewing retreat is my happy place!

7. Looks like an enjoyable break!

8. Laura F. says:

I just got back from a beach vacation too! It was so nice! O course I did find some local quilt shops to go to while I was there :) I did discover my new favorite thing, English paper piecing! So fun! It’s nice to be inspired by fresh air, sunshine, and some water :) can’t wait to see what you do next!

9. farmquilter says:

Love how you can be productive in any situation!! Have fun in the sun/shade!!!

10. love it! I’ve made a carry case for my Centennial FW that slides right into my rolling backpack. I;m stocking that with all the needed goodies to take in the camper!