It’s Fabric Friday, Friends, and I am in Love with Solids

Can I just say I am in love with solids? When I first got into quilting nearly 2 decades ago, solid fabrics did not catch my eye. Sure, I appreciated Amish quilts in all their simplistic beauty and I loved the value of a good tone-one-tone blender; but I was not ready for solids – or maybe they just weren’t ready for me…

20140809_modern_solids_swatchAt any rate, I’ve fallen in love with them over the last few years, partly due to the fact that I love how quilting really shows up on them. Also, when working with solids, the design of the quilt is much more important and makes a much bigger impact.

So it’s no wonder that I jumped at the chance to carry the motherload of solid precuts: Denyse Schmidt’s Modern Solids bundle from Free Spirit. It’s a box full of 75 tantalizing solids in every color you could imagine!

20140809_modern_solidsI mean just look at all of these pretties!! I could seriously ditch my stash and work with only solids if given the chance… (but don’t worry – I have no plans to take such a drastic step!)

I only have a limited number of these boxes, since they are pretty hefty. But hopefully FreeSpirit will keep them around for awhile and maybe, if we are lucky, add to the collection as time goes by!

Click here to shop my entire line of solid precuts.

Are you a solids-lover like I am? Or do you prefer prints?

This entry was posted in Fabric and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to It’s Fabric Friday, Friends, and I am in Love with Solids

1. Vicki says:

I do love solids! I have yet to make many solids quilts, but they are wonderful.

2. linda clark says:

yes. i love the solids. these boxes look especially rich and clear. i love that box.

3. Susan says:

I used to think solids were just for using with beautiful prints……WOW, I didn’t know what I was missing, guess my tastes are growing up

4. Since I am all about the quilting, I love solids! I like prints, but they don’t let my free motion quilting shine. But the best of both worlds is bits of prints surrounded by a solid background with room to play.

5. Debby says:

I can’t say I prefer one over the other, but there is really something about seeing all the shades together that always gets to me; stirs the creative spirit of just color

6. Rike says:

WOW! I love this box. It’s look so beautiful, that I surely wouldn’t use them and only enjoy looking at them. *gg*
    I love solids, but much more I love batiques – not the printed one, bute the marbled – they are “near” to solid but have a little bit of life in it. Do you know, what I mean?
    Greetings from Germany, Rike

7. searchfamilies says:

I know what i would do with them it seems a lot of Nieces or Nephew’s wives are expecting so will be working on baby quilts so what a wonderful way to use these
    Hugs Janice

8. P.S: I’ve really wanted that box since I first saw it advertised several months ago. Such a hefty price tag for 75 FQs, but so perfect for an upcoming project. I’m completely torn on this one.

9. I’m a lover of solids. I started quilting with solids because I didn’t want to run the risk of ruining prints I really loved. And yes, I think they often work much better for complicated designs than some prints do.