String of Pearls Wins Honorable Mention at MQX Pacific Northwest

I am humbled and in awe. I just found out that my quilt, String of Pearls won an Honorable Mention at MQX Pacific Northwest in Portland, Oregon. This show focuses on machine quilting using all different types of machines, domestic or professional.

String of Pearls

String of Pearls by Christa Watson

Of course I’m kicking myself for not actually attending the show. Next year!

String of Pearls was entered into the category “Machine Quilting the Modern Way.” I owe a huge thanks to Angela Walters and The Gadget Girls for sponsoring this category. I can’t wait to get my quilt back to see what prize I’ve won!

Although I won’t be able to see pictures of the other quilts until after the show, I was able to view a list of the award winners here.

String of Pearls

Detail of Swirls and Pearls Quilting

I am thrilled to be in such good company. Seriously, I feel as elated as if I’d won Best of Show! The three lovely ladies who took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the same category are all professional long-arm quilters that do amazing work.

Do you know what this means? It means that the results of free-motion quilting on a Bernina (or other domestic machine) can be just as good as quilting on a professional long arm machine.

Quilting Swirls

Free Motion Quilting on my Bernina

I have long thought that quilting on a “home” machine doesn’t have to be computer-perfect, yet it can still add amazing texture to your quilts. Now I’m doing my part to spread the word to others. I hope this idea will take hold and grow as more people discover the joy of quilting, no matter which type of machine they choose to use.

String of Pearls

String of Pearls by Christa Watson 64″ x 64″
Completed August, 2013

Because I like to make my backs as interesting as the fronts, here’s my “Shades of Grey” backing for this quilt:

String of Pearls BackAnd a closeup to see more yummy quilting:

String of Pearls Back Detail

Updated 10/11 – Thanks so much to Joni from Oregon for taking a picture of my quilt hanging at the show!! It even has a ribbon on it – (squeals of delight)!

String of Pearls, Honorable Mention, MQX Portland 2013

String of Pearls, Honorable Mention, MQX Portland 2013

90 thoughts on “String of Pearls Wins Honorable Mention at MQX Pacific Northwest

1. Karen Miller says:

It’s just as beautiful now as when you originally posted it — but I LOVE the picture of the Quilt hanging at the show WITH the Ribbon!! So very deserved Christa — thanks for all you do to inspire ! Karen

2. M-R @ Quilt Matters says:

That’s fantastic, Christa! Congratulations! It’s a beautiful quilt! I’m so glad you linked it up with TGIFF!. To be eligible for the prizes though, you need to include a link back to the party in your post. I’ve unlinked you for now, but if you add the link, please do link up again!

3. Lynette says:

I love how you quilted this! It really is lovely, and the straight spirals in the pearl squares are played off beautifully by the swirls and pebbles in the gray. And congratulations! 😀

4. Wendy says:

I am new to quilting (first ever) and I fell in love with String of Pearls. How do I find all the tutorials? Wish me luck.

5. dezertsuz says:

Congratulations! Nothing *I* ever quilt without a longarm will win a ribbon. LOL A lot of longarmers aren’t computer perfect, either, because they don’t use the computerized programs, but no matter how you achieved your results on this quilt, it’s beautiful!

6. Анна says:

Здравствуйте Кристина! Прекрасное одеяло, стежка. Поздравляю с успехом!

7. Quilter in Motion says:

Congratulations, Christa. I’m happy treadlemusic shared about your DSM quilting. I do all my own quilts on my DSM and I feel like each one gets better and better. Free motion quilting takes practice but I agree that it can be done as well as a computerized machine, and perfection isn’t necessary. Well done, and yes, do carry the word to others.

8. witchylin says:

teadlemusic shared your blog with me and I just had to post and say how fantastic your FMQ is just using a DMS. Congratulations on your ribbon and on such a fantastic quilt.

9. Judy Cinerari says:

You have inspired me to have a go at machine quilting on my Janome – something I haven’t been game to try yet. Beautiful quilt.

10. Sandra says:

Beautiful quilt, with exquisite quilting. I love that design of Angela’s; I have done it with my Bernina as well as on my Avanté! I cannot draw to save my life but do not too badly with a sewing machine and excellent instruction from teachers like Leah Day and Angela Walters. 😉 Practice is the key.

11. Malini says:

Congratulations Christa! Your quilting has tremendously improved and just awesome since I have know you from Leah Day’s 2012 quilt along! Keep doing the awesome work!

12. Brenda says:

Christa….that is awesome!!!! I am a Bernina owner, teach middle school Family and Consumer Science and my school lab is filled with Bernina’s! I also have a home studio where I teach small groups with 6 Bernina machines! I am fortunate to have a wonderful dealer here in Central PA!!!! I wouldn’t sew or quilt with anything else! Your quilt is beautiful! Congrats!

13. Joanna says:

Congratulations. Your quilt is super, and you quilted it beautifully. I’ve been to the MQX East last year and it was an awesome show.

14. Linda Bedford says:

I’m so happy for you. I love the quilting you did on this quilt. I hope to one day be able to do similar quality work.

15. Amy says:

That is so awesome!

Yes, we can do fabulous work on our domestic machines, just like the long arm gals, but we still gotta have the skills! And you’ve got ’em!