How to Get the Most out of Your Craftsy Classes

As many quilters do, I love to learn new techniques and keep up with the latest quilting trends. I’m willing to travel far and wide to attend national quilt shows and meet my favorite quilting personalities. However, there’s a part of me that’s a self-proclaimed homebody, so I love the fact that Craftsy makes it possible for me to take amazing quilting classes from the comfort of my own home.

Craftsy BOMQuilt Design from Craftsy’s Free 2014 BOM

I recently had a chance to interview a few of my favorite Craftsy instructors. They had many interesting things to say in  regards to teaching and interacting with students via the Craftsy platform:

Domestic quilting expert Leah Day explains the difference between the free content on her blog and her online Craftsy classes that you register and pay for. Says Leah, “My paid content is usually longer, more in-depth, and definitely more step-by-step. I’m willing to hold your hand and take you through every question I know you’re going to ask.

“Craftsy is also worlds different from YouTube because of the interactive platform which allows you to ask questions, post photos, chat with other students, and bookmark sections of the video to go back to.”

20140320_leah_day

Image courtesy of LeahDay.com

I am a very visual learner. When someone tells me something or tries to explain a concept to me, I usually nod politely while I’m thinking about my next quilt. But once they show me hands-on – that really grabs me and engages my attention! That’s why I’ve signed up for so many classes myself – so I can have access to them at anytime of day or night and watch them literally on demand.

Angela Walters began adding online classes to her roster when she discovered that it allowed her to reach even more quilters. At well over 10,000 students for her first class alone, she says, “I am so humbled and thrilled that I get to connect with so many quilters. I love seeing their pictures and engaging with them on their platform.”

Angela WaltersChrista and Angela at QuiltCon – she truly is one of my heroes!

Camille Roskelley enjoys the online learning format, both as a student and as an online instructor. Camille focuses on the convenience of piecing with precuts in her classes.

As a busy mom of young boys, Camille says, “I’m always trying to figure out ways to fit quilting into everyday life, so I have to make the most of the time I have. In class, I show how to cut, press, and piece in a way that you can walk away from it, and come back right where you left off, while always making the most of your time… even if you have as many distractions as I do!”

camillePhoto courtesy of Craftsy

Remember that video teachers are like regular teachers and that they are real people, too. They each have their preferences, methods, and unique quilting habits. So take what you want, leave the rest, and learn something from everyone. 🙂

Remember the saying, “Do what you love?” These fabulous instructors are doing it! Here are their suggestions on how to make the most of your online experience:

• From Leah Day: “Be open minded. Don’t be rigid in thinking there’s only one way that a certain technique can be done, or only THAT material can be used for THAT technique.” (In other words – ignore the quilt police!)
  • From Angela Walters: “Engage on the website. Not only by asking the instructor questions, but also by sharing pictures and talking to other students. It makes the class more like a community!”
  • From Camille Roskelley: “I have found I get the most out of a class if I watch a lesson closely once and sew along with it the second time around. I also suggest you take as many classes as you can to see other quilters’ techniques because we all do things differently!”

20140320_leah_craftsyLeah Day filming her Craftsy class. Photo courtesy of Leah and Craftsy.

As I’ve mentioned many times before, I’m a cheerleader for all things quilting. These amazing instructors not only make that job easier, they also inspire me to try things I never would have dreamed of before!

11 thoughts on “How to Get the Most out of Your Craftsy Classes

1. Dianna says:

I use Allavsoft to download craftsy classes videos
    I like its batch downloading and directly download videos to any video or audio format.

2. Leah Day says:

Thanks for the link ups and inclusion in this great post Christa! I should add that Craftsy just rolled out an off-line feature for ipad apps. Basically you can download the content of a class and then watch it whenever you want, regardless of internet connection, from your ipad. I don’t think it’s available for computers, but it’s definitely a good feature if you have limited connectivity.

• Sandra Walker says:

Ooh, thank you for that!! I will definitely be checking that out, as I have the Craftsy app on my iPad! This is a great post, Christa! I bought Camille Roskelley’s class yesterday, am very excited to pick up some more tips. I have all 3 of Angela’s on Craftsy, and have finished 2 of them. I have Leah’s second class as well as both of her books. Thanks to the Craftsy classes, Leah’s 365+ FMQ Designs on her site, and both of their books on quilting, I have gotten fairly confident on my Avanté which I bought used. And the best part? I didn’t have to step one foot out of my home, way cool. Oh! AND, I can re-watch and refer back any time I need to. Totally awesome and worth every penny. Yup, I’m a Craftsy fan too!! Oh, and another tip: they often go on sale, so if you are patient, you can usually get them at least 1/3 off, and most of mine I’ve got 1/2 price. 😉

3. Marlyn says:

I totally agree with all that’s been said. One thing that I’ve really liked is if I’ve run up against a problem or question and have asked one of the Craftsy instructors for help, if they didn’t know the answer, they contacted someone else and did get back to me. I highly encourage everyone to participate in the questions and answers section. There are many ways to accomplish the same process and sometimes a fellow student might share a different way that works better for you.

4. GrandyKandy says:

I am a Craftsy addict! I watch over and over again. Even last night when I was practicing my FMQ feathers I turned on Angela’s Feather class to visually walk me through it. 🙂 I have watched a lot of Leah on YouTube… Now I am thinking I need to sign up for her class… I guess I collect Craftsy classes like I collect fabric, rulers and threads now.
    HAPPY EASTER CHRISTA!

5. withajoyfulheart says:

I find I’m hit & miss with my classes. I buy classes to learn something specific, eg paper piecing, watched and skimmed through a few lessons, did the first project for some hands on experience and left it there to venture out on my own. Now to find the time to go back and watch the rest, but I love that the classes are always there waiting for me, no deadline and no need to download videos to my computer where they always get lost or forgotten about. Great post, thanks for sharing!

6. Leigh Anne says:

Probably the best way to get the most from your class would be to actually watch them LOL I have several waiting for me but I can’t tear myself away from my machine long enough to watch them!

7. tashaspatchwork says:

Craftsy rocks! As a mom of two kids who are constantly on the go I love the fact that I can take my Craftsy everywhere. While I am waiting for my kids to finish their soccer, swimming etc., I can enjoy a Craftsy clas on my phone or iPad. The best things about Craftsy, there is a class for everybody and every skill level.