Christa’s Soapbox – Social Media Update (Plus a Bonus Tip)

Today I wanted to give a quick plug for my other social media outlets, just in case you didn’t already know about them. I try not to repeat content too much, or if I do, I try to present it from a different perspective. You can find me here:

My facebook group: Quilt With Christa

Instagram: @christaquilts

Sign up for my weekly email newsletter: Friendly Threads

It’s taken me awhile to really wrap my head around social media and how to use it without feeling overwhelmed. I’ve been blogging for about 5 years now and just added instagram to the mix last year. This year my goal is to be more active on facebook, and I plan to figure out pinterest next year. My thought is by learning one social media network per year, I won’t get too overwhelmed and can discover the ins and outs through real-time practice.

How about you – what’s your social media of choice? What do you like or dislike about all the choices we have?

And just so this post has at least one picture, here’s a quick tip I shared over on Instagram while working on my next “secret” project:

joining_tip

Tip: when matching seams with a sash strip in between, use a ruler and washable pen to mark a small line in the seam allowance of the piece you are joining. This will tell you where to pin to make the seams line up.

14 thoughts on “Christa’s Soapbox – Social Media Update (Plus a Bonus Tip)

1. wendy says:

I disagree that Pinterest is social media. It’s a pinboard. Yes you can see what other people are pinning but there’s no real interaction over there (which is how I like it, it’s just a place for me to store things I’ve seen and want to come back to). I don’t think that it does drive traffic to your blog, other people pinning pictures from your blog drives traffic, but not you pinning things yourself. I wouldn’t bother waiting a year, just join and use it as a good place to store eye candy!

I like blogs the best, the most interaction. I do have one, it’s quite small but I like the record it keeps for me. I’ve recently joined IG but I’m not sure if I like it. I only Facebook with friends and family I’ve met in person, my FB feed has nothing to do with quilting as i get sick to death of constant promotion.

2. catkiz says:

Hi Christa! First I’d like to thank you for that great tip! I just finished a quilt top with sashing and wish I’d thought of that myself (*facepalm*).

As far as social media, I have blogged for 8 years and read many, many blogs regularly. Their popularity has declined somewhat (or just leveled off), but they are the best source, IMHO, for disseminating information. I hate FB and beyond what shows up in my feed (which I only check once or twice a week), I do not navigate around or otherwise participate. FB inserts too much advertising and self-promotion, to say nothing of their endless reformatting. Conversely, I LOVE Instagram, which surprises me. It’s a great way to view lots of eye candy and short messages. Pinterest? A fun personal pin board for gathering ideas and inspiration. I have a successful Etsy shop, and did try to use Pinterest for marketing, but it really feels out of synch. Maybe it’s just me, but my friends, contacts and I use it mainly for gathering pictures.

3. Pam Davison says:

I love to read blogs but do not have one. The only social media I do is facebook in a limited fashion and pinterest. I could stay on pinterest all day.

4. Susan says:

I don’t have a blog, but I enjoy reading other blogs. I don’t do FB or any of the other social media. Privacy and ownership is a big issue for me. I have quit following blogs and businesses that have gone mostly to FB. There is too much saturation and duplication of content and all I hear are excuses why one doesn’t keep up with the other. There is always going to be something new and one has to pick what one wants to give their time and attention to.

5. Jolly and Delilah says:

The social media landscape is very frustrating. I’m hoping we’ve reached a point of peak concentration, and many of the services that serve the same or very similar functions will disappear. There’s way too much for me to keep up with. I limit myself to Facebook and Instagram for the most part. Once a month or so I’ll update everything on Flickr, and I’ll tweet, but very passively. I don’t check Twitter. I just post and occasionally get some notifications. I think anyone would go nuts trying to keep up with it. It’s very overwhelming.
    I find my Facebook page to be very useful. I haven’t thought about a group, but I haven’t run any quilt-alongs, and the groups are great for those. The pages are a good way of getting your work out there as Facebook is very well indexed for search engines, and I think many people (myself included) are wary of joining too many groups, or commenting on posts in groups, because they generate so many notifications if you don’t remember to turn them off.
    I always forget about Pinterest. I’m going to have to get back to that at some point, but I think I’m procrastinating as my account needs some editing.
    Good luck working out what works for you. Feel free to reach out if I can help you with any of it.

6. Sharon - IN says:

I started with Facebook as a way to keep up with family and friends. I had not requested any ‘friends’, but let them come to me with the request. After a while, I did request ‘friends’ of nephews and nieces I rarely see. It is a nice way to keep in touch. But, with so many quilt shops and now those like you with a quilting voice on Facebook, I find myself following those and loving the inspiration! I don’t have a phone smart enough to do Instagram. I do use and like Pinterest – very user friendly as Afton mentioned in her comment. Oh, and Craftsy is another great forum! I’m debating as to whether to use Flickr. Does anyone here have pros or cons to Flickr? And yes I do have a blog, but not using it to its full potential – thus thinking Flickr might be a good way to go instead of a blog.

7. Debbie says:

My blog is ‘home’ to me, and the biggest part of who I am as a quilt blogger. Next is Instagram – I love the quick response and varied posts, but don’t like that I can’t see things really well in those tiny photos, and you don’t get much more than a comment. Where in a blog you can really share a project, a thought, or whatever. I miss the days when there was more interaction on the blog, so I rely on Ig for a lot of that.I must say, Ig is where my biggest consistent growth is. I often wonder ‘who are these people and how did they find me?!’
    I DO have a facebook page, and it’s growing, but there’s not a lot of interaction and I don’t really know how much it’s doing for my brand. It seems a small percentage of my fellow quilters are on it. From what I’ve been reading, Pinterest is still a big deal and can be great at driving traffic to your blog. I’ve been working at doing it more and better. I kind of agree with the commenter above – you may not want to wait a year to have a Pinterest presence….
    It all so interesting – and time consuming, isn’t it? Oh, and I recently started a newsletter! Its readership is growing steadily and the drop rate is low, but I’ve gotten very little feedback, so still evaluating that. So far, I’ve only send 4 issues over the last 2 months.
    Anyway! Lots to think about…

8. Teresa Stanulis says:

I don’t have a blog but I really enjoy reading blogs. However, I have to set aside time to read them and find myself doing more skimming lately. I’m fairly new to Instagram, but I really like being able to quickly view projects from others and I can easily check it several times a day on my phone. I have two Facebook pages, one personal and one for my business. I use my business page to post pictures of new listings in my Etsy shop, or to show what I’m working on now. It is a good way for my local customers to see what is new. I do have a Pinterest account, but don’t use it very often. However, recently I did what QuiltingMod suggested and pinned several of the items from my Etsy shop. I’m interested to see if it increases visits to my shop! (I’m StitchinGal on Facebook, @stitchingal on Instagram, and Teresa Stanulis on Pinterest.)

9. GeminiJen NZ says:

I am not a commercial quilter or retailer so am not too bothered with trying to be available in all sorts of social media – I use Facebook primarily to keep up with what friends are doing and as a kind of ‘magazine’ with glimpses into what my favourite online retailers or organisations are up to. Haven’t got time to bother with much else, once I’ve checked my FB page I then usually have sewing to do or school-work prep/marking. I like your idea of learning to use one platform each year; probably important for anyone with a business and needing to be ‘out there’ for wider coverage. Good luck!

10. quiltingmod says:

Pinterest is really very user friendly and helpful for acquiring traffic and sales. You may want to go ahead and not hold off, as it’s not so intimidating or time-consuming. I also prefer it over bookmarking or favoriting blog posts I may want to find in the future. It is worth the time investment, just due to the assistance it provides in sorting online reference materials. Also, you don’t need to feel like, just because you open an account, you have to incorporate regular pinning. Pinning just a few items allows others to repin them and promote you with minimal effort on your part. Add the Pin It button to your bookmark bar, and all you have to do is click the button and chose a category when you want to add something to your boards. Open an account, download the Pin It button, and spend an hour pinning your finished patterns and tutorials. I promise, it’ll be worth it, and you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.

11. shecanquilt says:

I think I am going to close all my facebook accounts. I don’t use it well and it is always a fight to post things. I am interested to know what you like about facebook.