Spiraling Out of Control was originally made for the Riley Blake MQG challenge as an experiment in line, form and texture. The blocks were improvisationally pieced without the use of foundations or templates, then squared up to the same size. The quilting was all free-motioned on my beloved Bernina.
This quilt epitomizes my philosophy of “perfectly imperfect quilting” along with my enthusiasm for the modern quilting movement. Sometimes I feel like my ideas are constantly spiraling out of control, and it’s all I can do to keep them contained.
Spiraling Out of Control Stats:
- Designed, pieced and quilted by Christa Watson; designed in EQ7
- Finished size 70″ x 70″, completed February, 2014
- Pieced and quilted on my Bernina 710 (no BSR)
- Fabrics: Riley Blake Basics; batting: Quilter’s Dream Orient; Aurifil 50wt cotton thread
- Quilting design: all FMQ including the straight lines, stitch in the ditch, and zig-zags
- Time to complete: 82 hours – top (30 hours), quilting and binding (52 hours)
Honors and Awards:
- Patterned in the Fall 2015 issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited
- Juried into QuiltCon, February 2015
- Featured in QuiltCon Magazine, February 2015
- Featured in International Quilt Festival, Quilt Scene Magazine 2014/2015
- Modern Quilt Guild Showcase – International Quilt Festival, October 2014
- Juried into AQS Charlotte NC Quilt Show, July 2014
- 3rd Place – Modern, DQN Quilts Show, March 2014
- Top 10 finalist, Modern Quilt Guild/Riley Blake fabric challenge February, 2014
Click here for more detailed work in progress pictures.
9 thoughts on “Christa’s Quilts – Spiraling out of Control”
I love this quilt, and the name is perfect for how I feel sometimes. Please post when you create a pattern or put it in a new book.
Thanks! It’s in the Fall 2015 issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited.
is there a pattern yet
Yes, it will be in the current issue (Fall) of Modern Quilts Unlimited magazine 🙂
Is there a pattern for this yet??Love it!! Spiraling out of Control
Yes – you are in luck! It’s supposed to be in the next issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited which comes out this month. Yippee!!
is there a pattern for this…I just love it!!!!
Thanks! Not quite yet. I’ll be eventually developing it into a pattern or a class so stay tuned 🙂