Christa’s Soap Box – Looking Ahead to 2014

I set a precedent last year when I listed my 2013 New Year’s goals a month early at the end of the year rather than on January 1st. I kind of go my own way sometimes and realized I’m more likely to achieve my goals if I get a head start, LOL!

Lighting

An unofficial goal – learning more about lighting and photography.

My 2013 quilting goals were pretty bold and ambitious and I knew I was taking a risk by stating them so publicly. However, I’m happy to say that I was able to accomplish most of them and feel like a lot of the hard work paid off.

And those that fell by the wayside? Well I learned a bunch, even from my failures. Some of the most memorable achievements of the year were getting accepted into Quiltcon, winning viewer’s choice in the Blogger’s Quilt Festival, getting my first quilt published in a magazine, and winning an award at a major quilt show.

Charming Chevrons

Charming Chevrons at QuiltCon

String of Pearls at MQX

String of Pearls at MQX

So what’s on the agenda for 2014? In three words: Simplify and Focus. I only have two goals for the next year and here they are:

1. Write a book. (Notice that I didn’t say “publish” – that will be later.)

I’ve just submitted a book proposal to a publisher and now I’m waiting to hear back on whether or not it will be accepted. I know most people are usually hush-hush about this kind of thing, but since blogging for me is as important as sewing (or maybe breathing), I’m putting it out there (without revealing any of the juicy details). Besides, what’s the worst thing that can happen? They can say no, and then I’m really no better or worse off than I was before – other than having a ton of new ideas! So I might as well try. :-)

Family Time

What we do to stay sane in between projects and deadlines.

The one effect this will have on my blog is that I will probably take a break from my Quilt Alongs while I work on other projects. However, I’ll leave the finished ones up and since I’m used to blogging nearly every day, there will be no lack of content around here!

2. Get back in shape. (Again.)

Beach Running

Gotta run!

I know, I know – this is everyone’s goal, right? Well, after blogging recently about mine and Jason’s trail-running, I’ve decided this is the perfect time to kick it into gear. I just feel so much better when my clothes fit. Plus, I have much more energy to sew when I don’t wake up with a “food-hangover” from the night before! I look to my previous weight-loss journey as inspiration this time around.

So how about you? What’s on your goal list for the upcoming year?

This entry was posted in Personal Life, Soapbox and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Christa’s Soap Box – Looking Ahead to 2014

1. I’m very excited about this book idea of yours! I can’t wait to learn more about it when the time is right! As far as goals…Hubs and I have both gotten a bit “fluffy” over the past year…I’m ready to shed the fat suit and get back to my fighting weight, so to speak…I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago and the weight just doesn’t stay off like it used to. :-( Another resolution is to spend more time writing (and no, blogging doesn’t count!) As for the quilty stuff…I’ve got 4 or 5 tops waiting to be quilted that I WILL complete in the first quarter of 2014; and I will get comfortable enough with FMQ to actually use the technique on quilts!

2. Karen says:

Thanks for leaving the Quilt Alongs Posted! I am a new follower and would like to do several of them as time permits me to. Good Luck on your new Adventures!

3. Lea says:

Congratulations to you for meeting all of your goals and setting new ones, both quilting and otherwise. You go girl!

Several years ago I started eating healthier and walking 4-6 days a week. I started viewing food and walking as a way to put good things in my body and treat myself better through exercise. I starting eating more raw foods, lots of veggies & fruits and fewer processed foods. Believe it or not my goal wasn’t to lose weight, although I needed to. For some reason because I had carried that extra weight for so long I didn’t think it would come off. But it did, I lost 56 lbs. And have kept it off. Shortly after I started I felt happier and more energetic. I’ve been eating this way and walking ever since. This time of the year has more temptations, some years I gain a few pounds and some years I don’t during the holiday season. In October I had an injury that has kept me from my daily walks (and sewing) but happily I’m improving and today will be the first walk in a couple weeks. :) I expect that I’ll be sewing again in a few weeks.

4. treadlemusic says:

I totally understand the ‘clothes fitting’ thing with the added energy! The problem right now is that this year’s Midwest/MN winter is here with its rain/ice/snow……walking can be treacherous much less running! I climb stairs….a lot….and briskly (my sewing room is on our second floor!!!)! If I don’t set any goals…..that’s exactly what I “hit”, so better to set some and miss a few than not to set any!!!! That’s my ‘story’ and I’m sticking to it!!! LOL!

5. shecanquilt says:

Good luck with your goals. I sure hope you get to publish the book, and I am always curious about how people select which publisher to approach and such. And I will be sharing your second goal, I have been working on that since August, but I have a ways to go still.

6. Barb in MI says:

Christa, just wanted to say thank you for your QAL’s!
    I have always been checking them out – and finally joined the Mod Xmas tree and just love it!
    As for 2014 goals – still working on them. Thanks again!

7. Mary Ann says:

My goal is the same as this year is to get my UFO’s quilted. I got 3 done this year and then other things came up! So am hoping to get more done this year. I quilt them in between other projects I am working on. I can’t just quilt my UFO’s and not have something else in the works! I do my simple quilting on my regular home sewing machine.

8. Karen says:

Thanks, Christa! You’ve got me thinking about where I want to go in 2014. As a quilting newbie, I’m going to take my scissors and really get underway. I’m beginning to feel an artist inside waiting to get out and I used to love to sew–so now that I’m retired. . .
    BTW–is that Capitol Reef in your family photo? I’m from Maine, but I remember how beautiful it was when we went on our retirement camping trip! We watched 2 young men run up and then down the mountain behind you. A running goal for you? :)

Yay for letting out your inner artist! That picture of us running at Hermosa Beach, California. We vacation there every summer thanks to the inlaws :-) My running goal is to run a trail 1/2 marathon in the spring.

9. Carolina says:

Great goals! I find that putting my goals out there and revisiting them regularly is what motivates me to get them accomplished!
    … and I find that the goals that don’t make it through to completion either weren’t that important, or my heart wasn’t really in it… so it is ok. ;)

10. Alice says:

I sure will miss your Quilt tutorials but we all need to move ahead with our goals. I hope to do some of my own quilting instead of sending them out. I have fabric and directions for 8 quilts, 4 of which I hope to get done before hot weather comes back.
    Have a great 2014

11. Great goals! And I like your idea to look ahead – it’s motivated me to set some time aside this week to pre-plan 2014 instead of waiting till after the holidays when I’m spent and less focused going into the new year.

12. Lori Smanski says:

I am so with you on when a goal comes up in my head, I don’t wait for the begging of the new year I start now, or it doesn’t get started at all. LOL Good luck on your book proposal and getting fit. Love that you can run on the beach. How cool. My daughter does this and loves it.

13. Leigh Anne says:

These are wonderful goals Christa! I will miss your QALs sorely but am always excited to read your blog :) And I’m on my own little get fit adventure. I blog about it on Mondays!

14. LA says:

Great goals, less always adds up to more. As for the weight loss – there is so very little in our lives that we have any control over – we are all just a phone call away from devastation. Yet it is quite simply the easiest thing to control what we put in our bodies. As you know, when our bodies are clean, our minds are sharp and fantastic things follow.

15. Kandy says:

Good for you Christa!! I am excited about your book adventures. Thrilled that you are getting back into running. I have always wanted to be a runner. I walk… Rarely. Quilting is like exercise for snails. I think that if I wear a sauna belt while I sew hours on end somehow that has to help, right? I was thinking of you yesterday when I was at the library for hours reading quilt magazines.. I was thankful for you and your gentle guidance and encouragement. It’s because of you I machine quilt… And even just finished a queen size quilt on my home machine. Talk about empowerment!
    Bless you and I am looking forward to your 2014 journey.

“Quilting is like exercise for snails” – I love it! And it’s for people like you that I want to write a book :-) Congrats on the wonderful quilting accomplishment. That’s fantastic!

16. Alison Hingston, Melbourne, Australia says:

Hi Christa, I enjoy reading your blog. You make everything sound so achievable. Thank you. My daughter and I were in Las Vegas two weeks ago, and we visited 3 quilt shops and Joanne’s. I think it was at Joanne’s that I spied Quilty magazine with your quilt on the cover. I know that quilt and who made it so purchased the magazine to make my own. My favourite quilt shop was Quiltique followed by the Christmas Goose. We did our tour with Susan of Quilt Tours of Las Vegas and had a wonderful time. Am now waiting for my two boxes of fabric to arrive!

17. Vicki says:

Very noble goals, Christa! I have confidence in you accomplishing both goals that you have set forth. Congrats on all that you accomplished this year!

18. Like you said, so many say they want to get back into shape, but I really mean it. This coming year I plan on spending more time outside enjoying life, getting in shape, and going on adventures. I plan on expanding my quilting experiences, too. The past 2.5 years I have been at a stand still with so much and this next year I will be able to do so much more. I also plan on being healthy. 2014 will be my year! :)

19. Lis Ostiguy says:

Kudos for pushing yourself forward. I have decided to finally focus my efforts on my art. I still have to work but I love my job with the Science Media Centre so this is not an effort. But I am cutting back on my hours to ensure I have the time to create, take some courses and follow the path to new fibre art adventures. I like you believe this is the way to be happy and get the most out of life. Thanks for letting me share and good fortune to all our adventures.