Christa’s Award-Winning Quilts!

I went to my guild’s annual quilt show this weekend and was thrilled to discover I had won three 2nd place ribbons out of 5 quilts I had entered. Here are pictures of all five quilts:

Jason's Space QuiltThis quilt is called “USS Jason” after my son Jason who designed the space shuttle block when he was 8 years old. It took me five years to finish but he loves it now that he’s a teenager! I quilted the stars with glow-in-the dark thread. It won second place in the “Juvenile Quilts” category.

Ultimate AppliqueI was thrilled to win a second place ribbon in the “Applique” category for this machine-quilted beauty. Notice the pins I’m wearing. The quilt show chairperson gave out buttons for each ribbon a quilter won for her quilts. What a fun idea!

Memory QuiltThis was the quilt I stayed up all night to finish! It was worth the effort now that it’s sporting a second place win in the “Show Theme – 25 years of memories” category.

Mystery QuiltNolly's QuiltThese two quilts didn’t earn any awards but I was still pleased to display them.

I just love quilts! Can’t you tell??

9 thoughts on “Christa’s Award-Winning Quilts!

1. Nancy Woods says:

Oh my! You ARE a winner! I love the USS Jason … theses types of memories live long after we are gone – your son will appreciate it and think of you every time he sees it. You simply must hang the picture of “You” with your beautiful appliqued quilt! I can’t imagine why you didn’t win First Place for it. (Love the buttons, too…very cute idea!) Your quilting is fantastic … I really don’t like to do that part of making a quilt, but realize I have to in order to say it’s all mine.

2. Kate Witmer says:

I began to sew and work on my quilts once again. You are my inspiration. I am also a pressed floral artist that began in 1968 with the guidance and love of my grandmother. I am doing what I love the most. I press my garden, herbs, and wildflowers, and these become my palette of color from which a design emerges.

I love the photo of you and your quilt; the light in your eyes reflect the love you put into your quilt designs. You are a blue ribbon winner from your family, business, and quilt designs. You brought a spark back I thought I had lost. I had a severe illness and a coma and had to relearn the basic things you do everyday. I am alive and people like you bring back lost memories. I love your shop and already have a 2nd order coming. My first order got me excited to sew again. Thank you very much. I look at my ribbons won at the State Farmers Fair years ago and know now is the time to start again.

3. Christa says:

Thanks for the kind comments, ladies. I can’t wait to start on my next quilt now. The hard thing is which one to start first!! The “Mystery” quilt was an original design I made for a class several years ago. The border pices are 1 inch wide finished and are offset with a light square on every other end to give it a different sort of finish.

4. Jae says:

Your quilts are all beautiful, Christa 🙂
    My favorite photo is the one of you (the creator) pictured with your quilt! That’s a must for the family scrapbook.

• Elaine Broniecki says:

Congratulations Christa! I loved all the quilts and also was nice to see the variety of quilts you’ve made. Well deserved–you work hard in that family business and it’s nice to see you still have time to make quilts.
      Elaine

5. Lindsay says:

Congratulations!!!
    The space shuttle quilt really speaks to me – my brother’s name is also Jason, and he always loved anything space/NASA related when he was little. I couldn’t believe it when I squinted in on your photo and saw that it said “Jason.” I would love to make a quilt like that for his child someday in the future!

6. Jannette says:

Congrats on your wins! Every quilt that you finish is a winner – whether it gets a ribbon or not.
    I really love the border on the Irish Chain quilt – is that a variation on a piano key border? It gives that quilt a nice touch.
    Congrats to Jason too – that’s a great block!