Christa’s Soap Box – I am a quilter.

I am a quilter. Obvious I know, but I’ve been spending the last few weeks and months determining what this really means to me and why I enjoy doing what I do.

It means I love to make quilts from start to finish. I love coming up with a design, choosing the fabrics, cutting them into little pieces and sewing them back together again. I absolutely love the texture that machine quilting adds to a piece, and I don’t even mind basting since that’s a necessary part of the process.

I am a quilter.

I am a quilter.

I’ve come to enjoy finishing the binding by hand, curling up on the sofa watching a good movie while I do so. I’ve even gotten to the point where I can add a label and a hanging sleeve without too much stress.

Thinking about the quilt-making process has caused me to reflect on what I’m not really into, either. I finally came to the understanding that it’s okay not to do it all. Really, it is. I’m not interested in embellishment. I have no desire to dye my own fabrics. And, as beautiful as machine embroidery is, it’s just not my thing.

Quilting for Kids

My sister’s kids and their quilts. I love that they get used!

Although I love to create original quilts and share them with others, I haven’t become a serious pattern designer. I’m just not good at graphic design. (That’s one of the reasons I enjoy getting published in magazines and why I want to write a book – so I can leave the professional-looking layout to the experts!)

This reflection has caused me to be a little more open-minded. For a long time I had a really hard time wondering why everyone in the world didn’t quilt their own quilts. By the same token, I’m sure the art quilters, embroiderers and graphic designers can’t understand why I’m not as passionate about their hobby as they are. The answer? We each have our  own interests and thank goodness there’s room for all of us!

Quilting

Teaching my daughter to quilt.

So although I will try to convince as many people as possible that they really can quilt their own quilts, it’s okay if you aren’t interested. You can still be my quilting friend and I will continue cheering you on! 🙂

65 thoughts on “Christa’s Soap Box – I am a quilter.

1. Marguerite says:

Thanks for your comments. I feel the same way as you and you put my thoughts to words. I like applique but not fusible. I do it but prefer needle turn. I like to quilt my own quilts and am not much for embellishments. You summed up quilters differneces quite well. Thanks

2. janita says:

How old is your daughter? That is awesome that she is already learning to FMQ! I am trying to be brave. I really want to quilt my own quilts. I have done some quilting with my walking foot but want to learn FMQ. Thanks for the encouragement. Janita

She’s 10 right now. She made her first quilt when she was 8 and she’s working on a couple of other projects now.

Yay for you for being brave and diving in!!

3. Adele says:

A big round of applause to all of us who machine quilt our own quilts! I don’t have a stitch regulator and sometimes it’s not regular but it’s all my efforts. I’m not perfect and my quilting is not perfect. I can see the progress I’ve made and just smile at my first quilting on my domestic machine and I’m proud of my progess. Thanks for sharing Christa!

4. Debbie R says:

Yes, I am one of those that wants to quilt my own quilts. At this point, I have only done straight line quilting, but hope to have time eventually to practice free motion quilting. Christa– do you quilt on a regular sewing machine or do you have a longarm?? If you FMQ on a regular sewing machine, do you have any tips and tricks??

I quilt on a domestic machine – a Bernina 710. It does have a few extra inches of throat space which helps. Before that I quilted for 15 years on a 20 year old Bernina 🙂 I don’t use a stitch regulator – just me and my hands!

I have a bunch of my favorite FMQ tips on my blog – just scroll back a few posts to find them 🙂