My Word of the Year for 2014 – Quilt!

Have you read about this trend of picking a word for the year? It’s been catching my notice recently, but I was finally inspired to pick a word for myself after reading Pat Sloan’s recent blog post about her words for each year.

Christa Quilts

Christa’s word of the year for 2014 – Quilt! (Duh!)

I thought about many ideas for what my word could be: health, patience, love, balance, organization, timeliness, etc., but finally realized that “Quilt” embodies all of this for me in this new year. “Quilt” really will be at the forefront of my thinking 24/7 as I strive to meet my goals for 2014. I will need to incorporate all of these other words in order to achieve them!

So how about you? What is on your mind for this year? Can you sum it up in a word?

34 thoughts on “My Word of the Year for 2014 – Quilt!

1. Ann @ Bright Side of Balance says:

It took me a few weeks to come up with a good word. Some of the ones I tried were giving and selfless. Finally, I picked Necessary. Is it necessary to buy this.. eat this… do this… say this… keep this quilt? Or the opposite. It IS necessary to quilt… take time for self… volunteer. … etc.

2. Lea says:

I’ve been thinking about my word and it came to me this morning. It is NOW. Meaning living in the moment. A few days ago I received some sad news involving 2 loved ones. It is one of those things that is beyond my control. My emotions have been all over the place. A dear and wise friend reminded me about living in the NOW. It certainly applies for this moment (no pun intended) with what is happening. I think it applies for everything though, for me. Celebrate the moment. Celebrate life.

3. elsabean says:

Productive is my word for the year and so far I have been ~ lots of things to do!
    I’m also doing a word a month ~ this month is intention. Really like doing words ~ one can do so much with them!

4. Pat Sell says:

I always pick a word for the year and this year’s word is “CONTENT” — no, not “CONtent”, but “conTENT” – being happy with where you are and what you have. Last year was not so fun for our family (death and divorce being the main themes), so this year will be a constant “thank you” that this year is better. Whether it is or not! πŸ™‚

5. Alexa from Australia says:

My word for 2014 is”DE-CLUTTER” because I retired on 30th December 2013 and now that i have time to sew, I need to de-clutter so that I can find what I want to work on. I also need to downsize so that in a few years, when my husband retires I won’t need to put so much into storage when we move out of our house to live on our houseboat for a year or so. I also like Janet Deschamps word, “unhurried” because I do the same thing!

6. Susan P says:

QUILT my own quilts. I’m determined to tackle machine quilting on my machine and saving some money by not sending my tops out to be quilted!

7. treadlemusic says:

Great idea! And beautiful quilting…….BTW, it appears there is total coordination between the quilt colors and you!!! Now THAT is perfection!!!!! LOL! Hugs…………………..

8. GrandyKandy says:

My word for 2014 is COMPASSION. my resolution is to unexpectedly be a blessing to people who cross my path. Compassion towards people melts me. :). I am blessed to be a blessing.<— that's my moto this year too.

9. Shannon says:

I love your “word” idea, but I think mine would be along the lines of “UFO”–I never seem to get my projects done. It takes me months to get my binding on. On another note, I just bought the Quilty Nov/Dec 2013 issue at JoAnn’s and LOVE your pattern in there. I’m so glad you did it using navy blue–that is one of my favorite back-ground colors as I think black is too dark and my kids will stain white! I also like gray. Congrats and I can’t wait to see what you have in the next issue.

10. Nanasneedles W says:

Quilt was my word last year and I did 15 machine pieced and machine quilted quilts; this year my compound word will be “quilt smaller” as I start on my Nearly Insane quit.

11. Emily says:

My word will be “complete!” as in “complete your current project before starting something new”. And also “use” – “use what you have before buying more” – before buying more fabric, more patterns, more supplies.

12. Lindsey says:

My word would have to be balance. I have so much going on this year and I need to find a way to balance it all! πŸ™‚ Thanks for the great idea! πŸ™‚

13. Anne says:

I am going to piggy back to your word. I have finished 6 UFO,s since Christmas(even a quilt from the early 90’s). I am now going to enjoy what I am best at -starting a new project. So quilt and enjoy.

14. Lis Ostiguy says:

Christa, you always make me think and push myself further. What a neat idea of picking a word.

For me, it would be ART as I want to do more creative quilt works as a priority in my life rather than only fitting it in as I can.

Lis

15. Sandra says:

This comes from Gretchen Rubin, author of The Happiness Project. She says it comes from her sister. My word is Acceptance. Mostly it’s personal, bit for quilting, I need to not be such a perfectionist, to relax, and have fun! Enter a quilt into a show even though I don’t think it’s good enough.

16. shirley tener says:

peace is my word, really meaning balance, I need to accept that I am artist and thats my approach on everything, I just noticed while putting up the glassware in the cabinet from xmas, it took me for ever but I wanted every peace to be arranged and area dusted.. I am also retied from Retail and I think I am trained this way……. My studio has to be clean before I can function in the house. just a thought I had yesterday. Could you share your sewing table area with me? I had a great experience yesterday FMQ.. I was shocked.

17. Lynn says:

Someone beat me to it πŸ™‚ But my word it “Finish” I really want to finish some of my UFO’s and I really want to work on my Quilting skills so I can do some or all of them myself. So I guess I have two words – Finish Quilts. πŸ™‚

18. Peggy Jebavy says:

My word for the year would be “finish”. I have so many UFOs and so many things that need to go out or be done for challenges that I plan to make that my goal for this year.

19. darlsc says:

Christa, I am much newer to quilting, and my word for 2014 is just SEW. I want to sew SO much more this year than last, and when I say “sew” it is always quilt related. I am still learning and mastering different aspects of piecing the quilts.

20. Janet Deschamps says:

My word is “Unhurried”! I am very bad about waiting till the last minute and then rushing. I’d like to live less rushed, more peacefully. So I’m working on being better prepared, planning ahead, and getting in the shower sooner!