Because paper piecing is on my mind with the launch of my paper piecing Quilt Along, I thought it would be the perfect time for me to recommend a fabulous Craftsy class from Elizabeth Dackson: Start Foundation Paper Piecing.
I’ve been a fan of Elizabeth’s no-nonsense, thorough teaching style and I’ve several occasions to interact with her through the Modern Quilt Guild. Let me tell you – Elizabeth is prepared and knows her stuff!
I’m currently watching Start Foundation Paper Piecing not only to support a friend (and someone I look up to), but also to perfect my own paper piecing skills. I always say it’s a great idea to take classes on the same subject from a variety of different sources to gain a better understanding of the material!
Here’s a quick rundown of the class topics:
- Introduction (7 min) – supply list and general overview
- Block Planning (25 min) – tips on color choices, cutting, and reversing templates
- Sunray Block (41 min) – learn the basic paper piecing method step-by-step
- Vortex Block (34 min) – practice chain piecing, acute angles, combining units
- Starflower Block (19 min) – working with directional prints and irregular templates
- Monarch Block (16 min) – combining multiple templates
- Pictorial Blocks (27 min) – it’s as fun as it sounds!
- Lesson Bonus (10 min) – looking for your next project and shopping for templates
Doesn’t that sound fun? And here’s the best part – all Quilting Classes are on sale for Mother’s Day. Yes – ALL classes. So while you are checking out Start Foundation Paper Piecing, you can load up your virtual cart with other classes you’ve had your eye on.