Charming Chevrons is my first official “Modern Quilt.” It was inspired by a pack of bold and beautiful solid charm squares and the desire to quilt the heck out of something! Scroll down to the end to see other versions of this quilt!
Charming Chevrons PDF pattern available for sale here.
Charming Chevrons Print pattern available for sale here.
- Designed, pieced and quilted by Christa Watson; designed in EQ7
- Finished size: 46″ x 54″; completed November, 2012
- Sewn and quilted on my Bernina 1630
- Fabrics: Kona cotton solids on front and back
- Piecing thread: Superior Masterpiece 50 wt Cotton
- Quilting thread: Highlights trilobal polyester 40wt, Isacord polyester silver
- Batting 2 layers: Warm ‘N Natural cotton, plus Legacy wool
- Quilting design: pebbles in the chevrons, straight lines in the negative spaces
- Time to complete: 47 hours – top (10 hours), quilting and binding (37 hours)
Honors and Awards
- Juried into QuiltCon February, 2013
- Martha Stewart Living Magazine (uncredited), July/Aug 2013
- 2nd Place Modern Category, DQN Quilt Show 2013
- Viewer’s Choice, Blogger’s Quilt Festival Spring 2013
- Juried into AQS Phoenix February, 2014.
- 3.1 Supply List
- 3.2 Sewing the Charms
- 3.3 Trimming Triangles
- 3.4 Sewing the Chevrons
- 3.5 Assembling the Quilt Top
- 3.6 Marking and Basting
- 3.7 Straight Line Quilting
- 3.8 Free Motion Pebbles
- 3.9 Binding and Finishing
Click here for my artistic pieced backing tutorial.
Colorful Chevrons variation – click here to read more about this quilt:
Colorful Chevrons has won ribbons in both local and national quilt shows.
Feathered Chevrons variation – using my Kona Solids Designer Palette:
There are so many ways to make a chevron quilt!
5 thoughts on “Christa’s Quilts – Charming Chevrons”
I love this quilt!!! The colors are beautiful.
I love this every tine I see it!
OMGosh! What a beautiful quilter you are!!!!
Oh! The backs….I have been looking and looking for how to piece a back with minimal piecing.
Then poof! I clicked on your site while perusing favequilts and you are a star at making wonderful pieced backings.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!