Fractured Puzzle is my “extreme modern” version of my free Puzzle Box quilt pattern. I originally made it for the MQG/QuiltCon fabric challenge and although it wasn’t accepted into the show, it pushed my creative boundaries in a way that no quilt ever has.
Fractured Puzzle – Designed, Pieced and Quilted by Christa Watson
Fractured PUzzle Stats
- Made by Christa Watson, originally designed in EQ7; fracture created on the design wall
- Finished size 56″ x 60″; completed November 2015
- Pieced and quilted on my BERNINA 770
- Materials: Michael Miller Glitz fabrics and Cotton Couture solids, double batting of Kyoto cotton/bamboo blend, and Pellon Legacy wool
- Thread: Aurifil 50 wt 2600 Dove (very light grey) and 50 wt Red
- Quilting design: straight lines, quilted with integrated dual feed 1/4″ apart, following the angle of each section; modern chevrons free-motion quilted in the red sashing
Honors and Awards
- 2nd Place, Machine Quilting the Modern Way, MQX Quilt Festival New England, April 2016
Machine Quilting Detail
Work in Progress
Click here to read more about the design process and making of this quilt.
Click here to get the free Puzzle Box quilt pattern this quilt was based on.