Illusions is based on a classic illusion called “Cafe Walls.” I saw this trick on the back of a children’s menu and thought it would make a fabulous modern quilt! I wanted to see if I could translate the idea into a quilt and still maintain the illusion of uneven lines. The further you are away from this quilt, the more apparent the illusion is.
- Designed, pieced and quilted by Christa Watson; designed in EQ7 and Photoshop
- Finished Size: 67″ x 88″; completed November, 2014
- Pieced and quilted on my Bernina 710
- Materials: Riley Blake Solids, Quilter’s Dream Orient Batting
- Thread: Aurifil 50 wt thread 2610 Grey, 2692 Black, 2024 White (about 1 spool each)
- Quilting Design: Free-Motion Quilting – Boxes
- Time to complete: 41 hours (top – 8 hours, quilting – 27 hours, binding – 6 hours)
- Originally named Optical Illusion, it was renamed Illusions upon publication.
Honors and PUBLICITY:
- Patterned in the Spring 2016 issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited
- Honorable Mention Modern Large, DQN Quilt Show, March 2016
- Hung at NQA quilt show, June 2015
- Juried into QuiltCon, February 2015