Modern Logs puts a modern spin on the classic Log Cabin block by creating one-of-a-kind improvisationally pieced blocks. I started with an equal number of prints and solids, then used scraps from the blocks along with a little yardage to create a secondary composition on the back.
- Designed, pieced and quilted by Christa Watson; designed in EQ7
- Finished size 48″ x 54″, completed April, 2014
- Pieced and Quilted on my Bernina 710
- Fabrics: Michael Miller Petal Pinwheels with coordinating solids
- Batting: Quilter’s Dream Cotton, select loft
- Quilting thread: Aurifil 50 wt. cotton, Dove grey
- Quilting design: elongated zig-zag stitch (#16 on my machine), quilted in vertical rows
- Time to finish: 24 hours – top (11 hrs); back, basting, quilting & binding (13 hrs)
- Entry into the Modern Quilt Guild’s fabric challenge
Honors and Awards:
- Honorable Mention, Modern Category, DQN Quilt Show, Las Vegas NV, March 2015
- Honorable Mention, Modern Piecing, Road to California, January 2015
Modern Logs is available as an in-person class. Click here for my teaching schedule, or contact me to schedule a class for your group, guild, or event!