What I’m Working on Wednesday

I thought I’d share a couple of pics of quilts I’m currently working on, you know, to prove that it’s not all about blogging and fabric around here. I actually do take time to quilt when I can, LOL!

Quilting Away!

Quilting Away!

Please ignore the messy hair, but this is my favorite thing to do – listen to a quilting podcast while losing myself in the joy of machine quilting. I’m finishing up a quilt that I’ll get to share with you pretty soon.

Riley Blake Challenge

Quilting my Riley Blake Challenge

And I’m frantically quilting away on my Riley Blake/Modern Quilt Guild challenge to get it done in time. There’s nothing like a deadline to light a fire under me and get me moving quick!

Quilting is also great for weight control. The more time my hands spend stitching, the less time they have to grab munchies! πŸ™‚

25 thoughts on “What I’m Working on Wednesday

1. Heidi says:

Christa, this looks like a great project , cant wait for the reveal:-)
    I have been quilting without walking foot more and more and more, and loving it!

Yes! Pat Sloan’s American Patchwork and Quilting Radio is my favorite. I also really like Amy Ellis’ & April Rosenthal’s QuiltCast. I’ll be blogging about those in depth later, so watch for it πŸ™‚

2. JOY says:

Beautiful quilt! I’m also interested in the quilting podcasts you listen to. I had know idea they were out there. I like to listen to soft jazz. I did find me a blue tooth headphone I like very much so I don’t have to deal with cords. (cheap set at discount store.)

3. Lindsey says:

I can’t sew a straight line to save my life with my quilting foot. So I am super impressed with your lines! πŸ™‚ I just read that you sewed through your finger!–umm-OUCH! πŸ™‚ I can’t imagine how that felt. Can’t wait to see this done! πŸ™‚

4. Sandy says:

Yup, busy hands = fewer snacks. πŸ˜‰ I feel the same way. But I’d probably knock my iPhone onto the floor if I used headphones, Christa! Instead, I plug it into an inexpensive speaker. Love your quilting!

5. GrandyKandy says:

Looks great! Half the time I sew in jammies. πŸ™‚ I can’t believe you not using a walking foot.. Your lines look terrific. I did some free motion lines on a quilt I just finished last week. I just didn’t want to keep turning the whole quilt.

Thanks! It’s an experiment. I’ve always wanted to try it! The free-motion foot doesn’t cause the quilt to bunch up as much, but it is more work to push the quilt through the machine.

6. Alice says:

Hi Christa. I have been busy too. I have had an issue with fabric stretching when I use the decorative stitches on my quilt. I sprayed it with Best Press and am using a walking foot. Any advice. What is the foot you are using? Good luck on your challenge. As usual your quilting is beautiful.

For my riley blake challenge I’m actually using my free motion foot to quilt it all. It’s an experiment πŸ™‚ Stretching can actually be caused by batting. Polyesters have the most slippage and can cause stretching where as natural battings like cotton or wool perform better while machine quilting. I also use a heavy starch rather than best press. Hope that helps!

7. treadlemusic says:

I had the same thought as Janneke! I totally agree with that last sentence……busy quilting fingers have no time for snacks!!!! LOL! I am always “blown away” at the sheer size of that model machine!!! Huge!!!! Love your work. And I really did know that you got a little quilting in here and there!!! LOL! Hugs…………………….

8. Betsy Albertson says:

Love the colors on the quilt you are working on! Can’t wait to see your finished projects! You are always such an inspiration to me! πŸ™‚