Woven Ribbons by Christa Watson, 45″ x 63″
I created Woven Ribbons to go along with my profile feature in Issue 9 of Make Modern Magazine. I wanted to create a modern design with a very minimalist, graphic feel that was easy to make from precuts.
I quilted wavy lines (seaweed) with switchbacks. These are two free-motion designs from my book Machine Quilting With Style. It’s fun to combine designs together in other quilts!
Although I love to quilt the heck out of my quilts, I prefer to choose designs that are simple to execute, don’t need marking, and do NOT require perfection to look great!
Tip for quilting with bright colorful fabrics – use a variegated thread!
I quilt all of my quilts with Aurifil cotton thread and chose 50 weight black #2962 and 50 weight Marrekesh #3817 for this quilt. These colors allowed the design to shine, without overpowering the quilt. I used a cotton/poly batting in black since it’s such a dark quilt.
I love how the black background causes the other colors to pop!
Woven Ribbons Stats
- Made by Christa Watson; designed in EQ7
- Finished size 45″ x 64″; completed November 2015
- Pieced and quilted on my BERNINA 770
- Materials: Kona Skinny Strips – 2014 Colors and Black; Hobbs 80/20 black batting
- Aurifil Thread: 50 weight #3817 Marrekesh and #4241 Very Dark Grey
- Quilting design – Seaweed (wavy lines) and Switchbacks (back and forth curves)
- Received 3rd place ribbon in Modern, Small category at DQN 2016 Quilt Show.
You can find Woven Ribbons, along with 14 other fabulous projects in the current issue of Make Modern Magazine. It’s a digital download which means you can save it on your computer forever!
This is my second pattern with Make Modern, and I’m sure it won’t be my last!