Welcome to everyone’s LEAST favorite part of making a quilt – basting! But hopefully with my methods and tips, it will be less painful of a chore for you. My #1 tip is to take your time with basting and don’t rush the process. If you have a nice and flat quilt while basting, it will make machine quilting sooo much easier!!
The key to successful basting is ensuring smooth, flat layers.
I use 505 Basting Spray to baste my quilts. It allows me to avoid pins while quilting and it ensures that every single inch of the quilt is sticking to every other inch. I have already created complete photo tutorials of my step by step process using either a design wall or a table. See the links below the image check them out:
- Click here for the Spray Basting Tutorial Using a Design Wall
- Click here for the Spray Basting Tutorial Using a Table
Below is a short 25 second video of me smoothing out the layers on the design wall, using a long acrylic ruler. Once I do this over the whole quilt, I take it to the ironing board and iron it, first from the back side and then from the front. The iron sets the glue and it’s ready to quilt!
If you would like to see the entire basting process on video (using a table), be sure to check out my Craftsy/Bluprint Class – Startup Library: Quilting. It walks you through the entire process of making a quilt from start to finish – over 6 hours of video content!!
Click here to enroll in my Startup Library Quilting Class
Hopefully between my videos and written tutorials, the entire basting process won’t seem so scary!
Next week will be another catch up break as I head to QuiltCon, so remember to share pics of your progress on Instagram #bloomingwallflowersquilt or in my ChristaQuilts Facebook Group. If I share your pic on my next blog post, you’ll win a free PDF pattern of your choice as my way of saying thanks for quilting along!
- Click here to get the Blooming Wallflowers Quilt Pattern (print)
- Click here to get the Blooming Wallflowers Quilt Pattern (digital PDF)
- Click here to purchase the optional kit while supplies last.
- Click here to share your progress in my ChristaQuilts Facebook group.
- Click here to receive quilt along updates via email.
- Click here for the supply list and links to previous quilt along posts.