Modern Logs has been one of my most requested quilt alongs ever and I’m so excited for it to begin! To get you ready, I’m sharing the full supply list and schedule today; then next week I’ll include a bonus post on choosing fabrics. The QAL will kick off on Wednesday, September 2nd.
For a limited time, I’m offering Modern Logs Quilt kits in all 3 sizes including the pattern!
Modern Logs: Scrappy Improv Front and Back
As part of the quilt along, I’ll include bonus tips and tricks on how to make a pieced backing if you so desire. But I’ll include a tutorial on sewing a regular back if that’s your preference too. For my Throw size, I paired up a couple yards of the Good Vibes Gumballs print with my leftover strips plus a few other pieces from my scrap stash.
I love using up lots of leftover scraps on the back. It’s a unique piece of art every time!
Modern Logs is the perfect pattern to learn a little bit of improv piecing, but in a structured way. I continued that theme by using up as many scraps as I could on the back. Although it’s a bit of improv, there’s a method to my madness that keeps everything under control.
Modern Logs Pattern and Materials List
Click the image above to enlarge for details.
This quilt is really easy to chose fabrics for. All you need is an equal number of lights and darks. You can select fat quarters as shown in the pattern above (10 of each light/dark for crib, 20 each light/dark for throw and 30 each light/dark for queen). Or you can use leftover precut strips and other scraps. Pretty much any cut of fabric will work, and no two quilts will end up looking exactly the same.
I’m using Good Vibes fat quarters for my quilt shown above, and I’ll be using duplicates so that I have enough fabric for the larger size. But this pattern is extremely flexible in which fabrics you choose (more about color selections next week).
Other Recommended Supplies
- Sewing machine in good working order. We will do an easy free-motion quilting design, so make sure you have a free-motion foot to fit your machine. Of course I love my BERNINA 770 QE with its wider throat space and lots of bells and whistles.
- Brand new sewing needles. Always, clean, de-lint and oil your machine before starting a new project, and change the needle. My favorite needles are Superior Titanium Coated needles, size 80/12. I use these for both piecing and quilting:
- Quality thread for both piecing and quilting. My preference is Aurifil 50 weight 100% cotton. This pairs well with my favorite needles above. And if you piece and quilt with quality cotton thread, your quilt will NOT get stiff when you quilt it. I’m using my Piece and Quilt Collection Colors for the entire quilt:
- Acrylic rulers: 6″- 8″ wide by 24″ long ruler, and 12 1/2″ x 12 1/2″ square ruler. These rulers will really come in handy. I use the long ruler for cutting an entire length of a fat quarter. The square rulers are for squaring up your blocks so they are all a consistent size.
Modern Logs Quilt Along Schedule
The links below will go live as each part is posted. Bookmark this page and refer back to the schedule anytime in the future to work on this quilt at your own pace. So gather your supplies and get ready to sew!
- Bonus Tips on Choosing Colors & Fabric Prep
- Part 1 – Cutting the Fat Quarters
- Part 2 – Sewing the Blocks
- Part 3 – Sewing the Quilt Top
- Part 4 – Optional Pieced Backing
- Part 5 – Spray Basting Tutorial (September 30)
- Part 6 – Free Motion Stipple Quilting (October 7)
- Part 7 – Binding to Finish (October 14)
Get your Modern Logs Pattern and Supplies below:
- Click here to get the Modern Logs printed paper pattern mailed to you.
- Click here to get the Modern Logs PDF instant download from my Etsy shop.
- Click here to get the Modern Logs quilt kit in 3 sizes (includes pattern).
- Click here to view the entire Good Vibes collection for coordinated backing.
For any questions, sharing your progress, and bonus help and support of your fellow makers, be sure to join my ChristaQuilts Group on Facebook. You can also share your makes on social media using #modernlogsquilt.
Want to get notified each time the quilt along step is posted? Enter your email address in the sidebar to automatically follow my blog. This can be found either to the right of your screen on a computer or laptop. Or scroll allllll the way down to the bottom of this page to see it on your mobile device.
I can’t wait to see what YOU create!!!