I’m ready to start my next quilt along featuring Facets, from my book Machine Quilting With Style. This is the quilt you all voted that was your favorite, and I’m so excited because it’s my favorite, too!
Facets by Christa Watson 63″ x 70″
The quilt along is a little bit different than the other quilt alongs I have shared in the past. You will need a copy of my book to participate. But that’s no problem, because I know that many of you have purchased your copies already (or received them as Christmas gifts).
Where to Purchase My Book
Those new to my blog can pick up a signed copy of Machine Quilting With Style directly from me, or grab it here on Amazon for a super low price! It’s starting to show up in many local quilt shops, too, so check yours for availability. If you’d like to get a combo e-book + hardcopy, my publisher has a great deal over on the Martingale website.
- 28 Fat Eighths of your favorite fabrics (or grab a fat quarter bundle of the Christa Watson palette if you want to make yours in the same colors as mine!). Or 3 1/2 yards of scraps.
- 2 7/8 yards of background fabric (white in my quilt)
- 1 1/8 yards for accent and binding (red in my quilt)
- 4 1/2 yards backing
- Twin Size Batting
- Your favorite thread for machine piecing and quilting (I prefer Aurifil 50 wt.)
- Creative Grids Rulers – Triangle Squared and Perfect Rectangle rulers. (Be sure to get this brand as other rulers are not the right size.)
The book includes templates if needed, but the rulers are easier to use!
Facets Quilt Along Schedule
Here’s how it will work: each Friday I will post an update with your “homework” here on the blog. You can share your progress anytime, in my Facebook group at Quilt With Christa. If you are not on Facebook but still want to share, you can email me a picture of your progress and I’ll share it in a roundup photo.
Because we are working through the book, no directions will be given here on the blog. However, I will share behind the scenes of the making of Facets and I’ll be your cheerleader to help you out as well as lay out your goals for completion week by week.
All links below will be clickable once that post has been published.
- Week 1 – Gather and share your fabrics.
- Week 2 – Make your own improv pieced fabric.
- Week 3 – Cut the blocks (with tutorial on how to use the Creative Grids specialty rulers).
- Week 4 – Sew the quilt top together.
- Week 5 – Baste the quilt.
- Week 6 – Straight Line Machine Quilting.
- Week 7 – Free-Motion Machine Quilting.
- Week 8 – Bind to Finish.
There Will be Prizes!
Each week you share your progress in my Fb group (or email pics to me), I’ll enter your name into one of three grand prize drawings at the end. So the more weeks you share, the more chances you have to win!
Three lucky participants will win the Grand Prize Pack – all three prizes per winner!
- A signed copy of my next book, The Ultimate Guide to Machine Quilting, which releases April 19th. (And yes, I’ll get my co-author Angela Walters to sign it for you, too!)
- A charm pack of my Kona Designer Palette.
- A 1300 meter spool of Aurifil 50 weight cotton thread, in the color of your choice!
You don’t even have to finish your quilt to be entered into the grand prize. However, everyone who shares a picture of their finished quilt by March 31 will be entered to win the BONUS prize – a jelly roll of their choice from The Precut Store.
And because I don’t want to leave anyone out, all participants who share at least one picture will win a PDF pattern of their choice from my pattern shop!
Sharing is Caring
If you’d like, you can save and share this badge on your blog or other social media and spread the word about my quilt along! You can share the image only, or link it back to this post.
Share your work in progress on Instagram with the hashtag #facetsqal