Quilt Finish – Easy Going in Quilts and More

I’m excited to share a quilt with you that I had been working on secretly a little bit earlier this year. Here’s a hint: if you follow me on instagram @christaquilts and search the hashtag #secretsewingchrista, you’ll see live updates as to all the secret stuff I’m working on now, for publication later! 😉

Introducing, Easy Going, in the latest issue of Quilts and More magazine, summer 2016.

Easy Going Quilt

Photography courtesy of Quilts and More Magazine, 2016 Meredith Corp. All rights reserved.

I’ve always been a big fan of Hoffman Batiks and am one of those people believes that you can indeed make modern quilts using batiks that incorporate simple striking geometry.

Easy going in Quilts and More

I made my version of Easy going in pretty greens and teals with just a pop of tan, cream and gray to make it sparkle. Seriously, this quilt is so easy you can make it in a weekend! I quilted it using my “boxes” motif from my first book. It’s a super forgiving free-motion design that is actually easier to do than stippling!

Boxes FMQ

Click the picture above to see a larger detailed image of the quilting.

I quilted Easy Going using Aurifil 50 weight in a pretty shade of green.

I love it when magazines test out my pattern in a different colorway. The version below was made by Jan Ragaller using Ombre by V and Co. for Moda. Isn’t it fabulous??

Easy Going alternate colorway

I was also super happy that they chose to include an extra page with some of my machine quilting tips. After all, when I make a quilt, I’m also thinking about the quilting, not just the piecing.

mq_tips

If you can’t find a copy of Quilts and More in your local quilt shop, you can pick it up online.

Quilts and More Summer 2016

If you end up making this quilt, or any quilt from any of my patterns, please share your progress in my Facebook group: Quilt with Christa. I love to see what you are making!

19 thoughts on “Quilt Finish – Easy Going in Quilts and More

1. Sarah says:

I’m with you on batiks. I love them and think they can make absolutely beautiful modern quilts. I am color crushing on the palette you chose- especially those greens. Gorgeous! Also, I love your boxes motif and am going to have to try that very soon.

2. Carol Wilson says:

I got my copy of Quilts and More at my local grocery store. It has several great patterns in it but, of course, I bought it for Easy Going. Perfect for showing off the fabric and not the background.

3. Karen S says:

A real beauty, Christa! Thanks for making me think twice about using batiks–are those pale blues batiks, too? And, as ever, your gorgeous quilting (easy–Really?) is the icing on the cake. . er. . .quilt 🙂

4. Paula S, Pike says:

I got the magazine and can’t wait to make this quilt. I want to make it in silk damask so I’m holding off until I find the right blend of colors to truly enhance the design. Thank you Christa for your wonderful talents.

5. Hedy Hahn says:

I really like this quilt. My eye kept moving over the quilt and I’m glad you showed two color ways for this quilt, makes me think of other color combinations that would work well together. I need to make a quilt for my 35 year old nephew and blue with pops of white and red would be great in this quilt (using up my stash).

6. Diane says:

I would never have thought of putting those particular colors together, but the combination
    Is so striking, your quilting is amazing! You never cease to inspire!!!